• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log] The Man-Cave!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No he loves playing. Especially tug-o-war & keep away. It's just the horseplay he doesn't like.

Being that the basement is about 1700sq ft it'll be like my home at home. Lol I like the sound of that.

Had to take a short break as we needed to replace our sectional couch that was destroyed during the move. The misses wanted a nice fabric couch so I bought a nice full leather set in hopes that she wouldn't like it and force me to take it down into the man-cave. Sadly she fell in love with it.

View attachment 169628

View attachment 169629

But now for the update.

I'm still on step 1 (storage) and got a little more progress. I finished the monster shelf that I aptly named "The Warehouse" it's three shelves 16 ft x 4 ft. Next is the smaller 10 ft x 4 ft and shouldn't take as long to build. Still in the rough carpentry phase so nothing fancy yet. However the last phase of this step is the 6ft x 2 ft x 7 ft high built in pantry. That's when I can start doing a little nicer work. But I'm getting ahead of my self. Here is The Warehouse.

View attachment 169630

Also I think it's worth mentioning here, the previous owner left a bunch of Konica Minolta copier circuit boards here, all brand new. Seems he was a repair man for a while. We'll I looked up some of their prices and they go for upwards of $300 a piece. So I'm gonna spend a little time this week to catalog what I have and list it on fleabay. Should put some nice cheddar back in my pocket. :)

That's all for tonight. Stay tuned for more saw dust and lumber.

Update

I built the last of the storage shelving this morning. This shelf is designed for the big box items we have (i.e. X-mas tree box, wreaths, etc.)

View attachment 169795

View attachment 169796

View attachment 169797

View attachment 169798

Now I need too fill the storage shelves and get the bulk of my basement back. Once this is complete the Wife and I will design and start the build of the pantry. There probably won't be another update for a little while.

Yeah the sideways pics are from my phone. Kinda silly like that.

Actually the pantry will be in the basement as the pantry in the kitchen is "downsized" from our last house. I guess in reality this will be the secondary pantry. Lol

Ah. Makes sense.

Yeah, the pantry in my parents house....is more like the builder thought of it at the last minute, and gave them a broom closet sized one.
Our house in Iowa, had a small walk in closet one, and a lazy susan in one corner

What weve learned from this go round home wise, is...if you see something outta whack, call people out on it.

UPDATE!

Another small but Oh so important update. I had the service panel updated from a 100A to a 150A service panel. This opens up 10 slots for MOAR POWA! The previous one didn't have any available slots and even had one double lugged.

Before
View attachment 170510

After
View attachment 170511

This should be the last of the smaller updates. I plan on starting the construction next weekend after my electrical inspection. :fingers crossed:

P.S. sorry for the sideways photos. I'm on mobile right now.

cars, computers, houses, they are all the same, you buy one that's just right, then mod the **** out of it!!!!!

UPDATE!

Thursdays inspection went without a hitch so I've got a green light to begin construction.

Just picked up $600 worth of foam insulation board. It's 1 1/2 thick Owens Corning XPS board. It is moisture resistant and has an R factor of 7.5. This should keep the man cave nice and comfy during the long winter months here.

View attachment 170923

Also picked up a new Dewalt 7.8 amp hammer drill for setting the wall anchors. I killed my last 2 hammer drills last year so this was an eventual purchase anyhow.

Tonight this wall to what was the former storage room comes down. The plan is to move it back about 4 feet to make my new work shop room 13 1/2 x 18 feet. Enough room to rip cut 4x8 sheets.

View attachment 170924

That went quickly, did you get Sue mad and have her just push you through it? He he!

Back