• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Project Workspace

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After a busy Friday I got some minor progress done! My roommate helped me remove the top and remount the brackets that hold the main insert in. The edge is now flush with the outer rail. I also got a sweet deal on the glass insert finally. It was part of a remnant they had from another project. It's 1/4" thick with no fancy bevels. I supported it along the outside edged with some some 1/2" angle aluminum.
IMG_20111209_165623.jpg

I cut the ends at 45 degrees to for a proper fit all the way around the edge. I then drilled 7/64" holes in them and the desk for some small 3/4" length screws.
IMG_20111209_204758.jpg

After cutting and finishing the edges I took a wire brush to the pieces to create a brushed aluminum look, which turned out great. Unfortunately the phone camera doesn't pick it up very well but it's there :).
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d46/exilesanhusky/IMG_20111209_192849.jpg

Here is one of the corners after the mounting and the glass in.
IMG_20111209_225134.jpg

That's about all the progress for today. Tomorrow I think I can get the power button, USB, and mic ports in. We'll see what happens :)

Well the power button I wanted to use does not fit so I'll have to order something... I did get the USB and audio jacks hooked up however. I want to re-sleave the cables in black or silver and make a rear plate for them to pass through properly. I cut the hole in the desktop with drill bits and a jigsaw.
IMG_20111210_185639.jpg

It is held do the desk with 1" long screws on each end.
IMG_20111217_123433.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg

The plate is aluminum that I brushed myself.
IMG_0007.jpg

I scavenged the audio and USB ports from the front panel on an HP tower.
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

I glued the separate sections together with 2 part epoxy
IMG_20111217_123510.jpg

I guess I'm on hold until the power button shows up so I hope this holds you over for a while. :)

Another cool update, I really like how the USB/audio ports turned out - that looks great. I would get nervous chopping up the desk for the ports. :) It looks pretty brutal drilling/jigsawing it out, so I don't know if I'd have the guts to do it - but it looks great once finished. :)

This looks awesome! Since your sooo good with metal work I think you should use some of that metal and cover up the bezel. Maybe a nice chrome finish or something. xD My weaknesses are chrome and carbon fiber :p

Howdy folks. Some things have cropped up IRL and I'll have to put this project on hold a while. My mom's house is getting foreclosed and she needs a place to stay so I'm letting her and my brother move into my house but they need the room with the desk. I will go somewhere else but I'm not sure where that will be yet... The desk will go into storage for a few months probably until I get my living situation sorted. This isn't the end of this project but I'm not sure when I'll be able to update it again. So sorry to keep you hanging :(.

I'm not sure if it's specifically for gas but it is a pipe fitting. I have since replaced the plug with a short length cut from a CD spindle. The threads were allowing slow evaporation.

Back