• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PS3 Controller => PC via USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

me2hat_head

Registered
While gaming on a laptop is possible, I find it rather tricky using the touchpad in FPS's (I have a mouse but the beauty of a laptop is that it should be able to be used on the lap). So, my initial response was to ask a friend if I could borrow his wired xbox 360 controller. Everything was great, until he asked for it back :/
Rather than purchasing one off ebay, I was wondering whether or I not anybody has tried using their PS3 controller via USB, and if so, how?
I used xPadder with the xbox pad, but that only worked because Win 7 has the drivers pre insatalled.

Thanks in Advance :thup:

Last edited:
Buy an Xbox 360 controller :).
I know. You don't want to. You should, though. Better controller than the PS3 controller IMO.

They are easier to use, I admit :)
I don't have an xbox though, so I just though it made sense to utilize what I've got, if you know what I mean :p

They are easier to use, I admit :)
I don't have an xbox though, so I just though it made sense to utilize what I've got, if you know what I mean :p

I do, sadly however, I don't believe that the PS3 controller transmits all its actual data- or any at all, over the cable. AFAIK the cable just charges it and all the conversation between the PS3 and controller is via bluetooth. So, at very least, you'd need a bluetooth receiver, and would have to find a way to get the PS3 controller to talk to it, and tell windows what controller it was or at least find a similar profile for something logitech-knockoff like, which does exist, and hope it worked.

At the end of the day it's at least $20 and a PITA versus $35 for guaranteed plug in and instant workage. I'd take B.

Right, with that in mind, it looks like I'm buying an xbox pad.
To anybody else, feel free to post your past experiences with ps3 controllers and PC's.
I'm going to do one last google and then check out ebay for cheap pads.

He he. Cheap pads..

*sigh* my sense of humor is 12 in the morning...

If you go to an indy used game store (not a gamestop or anything but like Fred's video game shop) you can usually find a not-too-abused used 360 wired controller for like 20 bucks MAX. I've seen them for 15. Still in good shape, no scuffs. Obviously worn down nubs on the joysticks and maybe the triggers dont spring back perfect but for 15 bucks, whatever :).

If you like the shape of the PS3 controller, Logitech makes a controller that's 'not' an exact copy of the dualshock or anything for PC.
I personally find the sticks on it very cheap and overly stiff. Also dislike that shape. You should know about said option though. Have you considered just borrowing your friend's controller again and then always being out when he wants to come over and always forgetting to bring it when you go hang out there? It'd stretch you out for a while :)

He he. Cheap pads..

*sigh* my sense of humor is 12 in the morning...

If you go to an indy used game store (not a gamestop or anything but like Fred's video game shop) you can usually find a not-too-abused used 360 wired controller for like 20 bucks MAX. I've seen them for 15. Still in good shape, no scuffs. Obviously worn down nubs on the joysticks and maybe the triggers dont spring back perfect but for 15 bucks, whatever :).

I honestly have no idea what you're on about. I come from the UK and we don't get gamestop or 'Freds video game shop'. By indy used game store, I guess you mean individual game store, i.e. not a franchise.

I've used a PS3 controller on the PC, and honestly, it's not worth all the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work. You have to download and install like 4 different things. Like already suggested, just grab a cheap Xbox 360 controller. Very plug and play.

I've used a PS3 controller on the PC, and honestly, it's not worth all the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work. You have to download and install like 4 different things. Like already suggested, just grab a cheap Xbox 360 controller. Very plug and play.

+1, it works, but its not worth it, get a xbox 360 controller.

Check out motioninjoy. They have drivers for using the ps3 controller on the computer. I believe it can even emulate a xbox360 controller.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

+1 to that... I popped my FFX disc from way back (...crap, it's been 10 years? :confused:) into my PC and started playing with my ps3 controller. Good memories :thup:

It's really not that much hassle imo, just got to remember to turn off signed driver enforcement on win7

+1 to that... I popped my FFX disc from way back (...crap, it's been 10 years? :confused:) into my PC and started playing with my ps3 controller. Good memories :thup:

It's really not that much hassle imo, just got to remember to turn off signed driver enforcement on win7

Install steps. Getting a USB controller to work shouldn't be that complicated. Again, it can be done, but much more complicated than it can be. Especially when you can just plug a xbox controller in and you're good to go.

IT WORKS! And it wasn't difficult at all if you go to Motioninjoys wiki and follow their guide (thanks JonSimonzi).
So, all sorted then.
Thanks for the input guys.

Buy an Xbox 360 controller :).
I know. You don't want to. You should, though. Better controller than the PS3 controller IMO.

I hate the stupid 360 controllers "Let's flip the analog and dpad that the PS controller has!"
I can't stand them. I was playing Black Ops with a "360 styled" wireless PS3 controller, and the thing is a piece of garbage.

I use my Dual Shock 3 with GTAIV, using Motioninjoy, and love every minute of it.

Sorry if I'm trolling or anything not trying to bash, I just hate the 360 controller :p

HINT: If you guys ever need to use a DS3 in GTAIV with Motioninjoy all you need to do is set it to XBox 360 Emulation

I know you marked this as solved already but there is a MUCH better solution!!

Xpadder! (hell it will even let you set profiles for diffrent button settups, and you will be able to use any controller as a MOUSE!)

I know you marked this as solved already but there is a MUCH better solution!!

Xpadder! (hell it will even let you set profiles for diffrent button settups, and you will be able to use any controller as a MOUSE!)

Well, that is what I used to configure all the keys, but it doesn't have the ps3 drivers for the triggers, analog sticks and sixaxis, hence installing motioninjoy (I used Xpadder with the 360 pad, but that only worked because win7 has the drivers built in).
But yeah, Xpadder rules!

Back