• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 on a LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The res is 1280 x 1024

High definition = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 interlaced. That monitor would be considered high definition

If he was to get an adapter (component (hdmi?) -> vga (dvi?)) he would run into a problem.

That monitor isn't widescreen so the image (in HD) would be either severely distorted (stretched out) or (if the monitor "knows" how to output HD) it would have black stripes on the bottom and top of the screen.

Plus, if such an adapter even exists ^^, it would probably cost him big bucks.

Well this is all I have to go on as to what the features of his monitor are. I would hate to tell him yes and it didn't work.

This is about all I could find on his monitor. I really just don't understand all this stuff, so could somebody take a look at this monitor and give me a final verdict please? Its does appear to have DVI-D though.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/gaming/ls19medsbqedc.asp

thanks.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, this one won't work. It doesn't specify HDCP. It's better to ask at the display section to get a list of recommended and affordable HDCP monitors.

It has a DVI connection so doesn't that make it HDCP compliant?

Even if he gets a dvi -> hdmi cable it's not worth it. He will be able to output 720p on that monitor but, like I said, the image will be either stretched out or he will have black stripes on the bottom and top of the screen (HD resolutions are widescreen and that monitor is not).

mrgoodkat said:
Well this is all I have to go on as to what the features of his monitor are. I would hate to tell him yes and it didn't work.

This is about all I could find on his monitor. I really just don't understand all this stuff, so could somebody take a look at this monitor and give me a final verdict please? Its does appear to have DVI-D though.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/gaming/ls19medsbqedc.asp

thanks.

IMO:
- There is no description that the DVI-D input is HDCP compliant, that means no video will be output from PS3 using the HDMI -> DVI-D cable. PS3 will only output the video from HDMI port if the receiving port is HDCP compliant, this is according to the PS3 manual.

I would definately look for a HDCP compliant DVI-D input LCD monitor.

I would think that it would work but all that copy protection crap with HDMI boggles the mind. If I understand correctly, you only need HDCP for the 1080p source over HDMI so HDMI-DVI at 720p should work, but I COULD be wrong. I'd buy the adapter locally, try it with your friends' machine and take back the adapter if it doesn't work.

Thanks gents.

He hasn't bought the PS3 yet, and he lives in Indonesia, so I cant really lend him any hands on help. He isn't likely to buy another LCD just to be able to play PS3. I will pass this thread along his way.

mrgoodkat said:
Thanks gents.

He hasn't bought the PS3 yet, and he lives in Indonesia, so I cant really lend him any hands on help. He isn't likely to buy another LCD just to be able to play PS3. I will pass this thread along his way.

In Indonesia, I am pretty much sure you can bring the monitor to the store and they will let you test it with the PS3.

Back