• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3, this will make you cringe...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sliver said:
I could have sworn that the 360 used regular DVDs, not HD-DVDs.

You're right. Microsoft says it will release an HD-DVD player as an upgrade for the 360.

As for Blue-Ray -vs- HD-DVD

Current DVD plants will have to make minor upgrades to produce HD-DVDs. That's why they'll be cheaper to make and that's why it's got a strong foothold in the industry. The upgrade necessary to develop Blue-Ray Discs will be VERY expensive. It's cheaper to build new plants. I like all the benefits that Blue-Ray offers over HD-DVD, but I think that a practible and cheaper format (HD-DVD) will be more widely accepted in the market. Just my opinion.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
I don't get it. Most people on this forum complain more about Microsoft than any other company. Yet, the same people love the XBOX but hate Sony because of their prices, Blue-Ray, and past DRM issues. Strange...

It's quite possible to hate how a company acts in one area and be indifferent towards them in another. Whats more it is also possible to hate Microsoft but just hate Sony more.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
You're right. Microsoft says it will release an HD-DVD player as an upgrade for the 360.
As in, sold seperatley? We all know how well that's going to sell.

make all the funny theory arguments you want, but as long as franchises like metal gear solid, final fantasy, gran turismo and so many other companies stay exclusive to sony, no one else is coming close. it doesnt matter if the console costs $850, people will buy the thing for the games.

Oni said:
I found this interesting. Sony Corp. just took out a $698,000,000 loan. It's first in 10 years. I wonder what they're worried about?

Linky McLinkage

There is nothing wrong with this. Simply put, Sony is looking to raise more money, with no ulterior motive.

A corporation typically has two ways to raise a lot of money - by Equity (issuing stocks and other securities) and by taking on more debt. From a business standpoint, debt is less risky than equity, and has more growth potential. If Sony issues additional shares and gains a profit, they must share that profit with more shareholders. With debt, however, Sony effectively gets to keep its profits/gains to its current stakeholders and nobody more.

What's the point? You should only be more worried (if at all) if a company such as Sony was looking to issue more stock, not debt. Think about it this way: Let's say that you want to open a PC repair business and you can get all the money on your own. But let's say that the business has a moderate chance of failure. You might want to get more people involved in the funding of the business so that it reduces your personal liability. If you believe that the business has a high chance of profitability, however, you will look to fund the business entirely by yourself; a corporation will only seek external sources of funding (such as stocks and bonds) if they believed their future business ventures to be too much of a risk to take on themselves. Debt is considered internal debt, so there's not much to see here.

/lesson for the day

deception``

Derivative said:
make all the funny theory arguments you want, but as long as franchises like metal gear solid, final fantasy, gran turismo and so many other companies stay exclusive to sony, no one else is coming close. it doesnt matter if the console costs $850, people will buy the thing for the games.
I think it's more likely that those developers will jump ship to Nintendo or MS because no one is going to buy the PS3. That is, unless Sony gives them some amazing deal to stay or they are under a long contract.

mage_x said:
I think it's more likely that those developers will jump ship to Nintendo or MS because no one is going to buy the PS3. That is, unless Sony gives them some amazing deal to stay or they are under a long contract.
If MS and Nintendo didn't suck, you might be right.

Sliver said:
As in, sold seperatley? We all know how well that's going to sell.

There was speculation that the 360 would drop in price around the release time (or just before) of the PS3, however this has been replaced by further speculation that a HDDVD drive will instead by bundled with it as standard then.

Sliver said:
If MS and Nintendo didn't suck, you might be right.
They don't suck. I would love to see a Final Fantasy (non Crystal Chronicle) game on the Wii.

shard said:
My god. Dont you ever get enough of being a troll?

Indeed, it is one thing to ask for sources when presenting something as fact; but to ask for sources when I specified that it was only speculation is showing yourself up. It seems to be a growing trend in other forums I visit too, asking for sources non-stop regardless of relevance, "if you can't find the URL to the article you read this in months ago then you are wrong".

Last edited:
Anjow said:
Indeed, it is one thing to ask for sources when presenting something as fact; but to ask for sources when I specified that it was only speculation is showing yourself up. It seems to be a growing trend in other forums I visit too, asking for sources non-stop regardless of relevance, "if you can't find the URL to the article you read this in months ago then you are wrong".

The so called "educated" Fanboy.

shard said:
My god. Dont you ever get enough of being a troll?
My God. Don't you ever have something more to contribute to the threads you post in than your typical one sentance non-answers?

and by the way jivetrky, thanks for making that wonderful post. Not only was it based in fact, rather than speculation, but you provided a like to substantiate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back