• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSA: Questionable G.Skill heatsink performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgun

While killing time and deciding how I was going to remove my heat sinks from my new G.Skill memory, I noticed that there seemed to be some gaps between the tape and the dies. After taking a closer look, quite a few were not even touching the tape at all, leaving a bit of a gap between the die and the casing. Ramsink.jpg

This is really the only good shot as 1) looking into the sun isn't fun, 2) shooting without a macro lens is equally not fun, and 3) shooting handheld with a 200mm lens to try to mimic a macro, even with VR, is stupid. This particular circled die has a complete gap despite what the pic suggests. See points one, two, and three.

That said, this particular memory, F4-2400C15Q-32GRK, is the culprit. The other modules exhibit the same behavior and I would say the majority of the dies are not fully touching the tape across all four modules on-hand.

This is more of an FYI than anything as I'm popping these off in favor of some WC goodness anyway.

Temps are so low that I wouldn't care about it even after overvoltage. It shouldn't happen in high end memory but I see it from time to time in every memory brands. Actually DDR3 from latest series also don't need additional cooling and for some longer heatsinks are almost only for protection and better looks ( some are not really looking good ;) ).
When I was testing Crucial Elite with thermal sensors then 4 sticks next to each other at 1.7V were running at no more than 50*C without any fan. Max temp for desktop grade memory is about 85*C. DDR4 have higher limits and run at lower temps.

While true and a fair point, shoddy is shoddy. I've already cooked some memory that was fanless for a short while so...

No modern ram needs heatspreaders...no modern ram should die without a heatsink. Ram doesn't remotely need fans at stock and slightly raised voltage/overclocking.

Back