• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for the long haul?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lethalmartini

Registered
I've been getting fan rattle and random reboots from my PSU (currently a vantec stealth 420w). It appears as if it's time to upgrade.

So the question now is do I spring for something sweet like the Fortron AX500, or is it overkill on my current rig (see below)? Another concern is if it has adequate juice on the 5v rail (28A), or if my board is even a 5v board.

Lastly, will this be the kind of PSU to throw into a new rig a year down the line (hence the thread title), or is that kind of thinking foolish and should I just focus on what will properly run what I have at this moment in time?

Just so you can get an idea for my current power demands, the setup now is:

P4 3.0ghz
Asus P4P-800
2x512mb Corsair XMS
Old old ATI Radeon 7200
DVD+RW drive
200 GB Segate Barracuda SATA
80 GB WD Caviar

Also drawing power are my:

External Firewire 40GB
Midi Keyboard
512mb flash drive

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Your board is a 12v oriented board, and the AX500-A is just about perfect for your system :)

I don't think its your powersupply. A 420w powersupply should handle all of that and some more. I guess the Fortron would be your best bet.

-1cem4n

Back