• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Modular help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, as some of you know, I am still working on the USSR Computer. If not you should check it out. It was headed by our friend cpt Slug. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403779

Basically I am trying to figure out a way to do a modular design with the PSU. Space is very limited. I know some people use speaker connectors, but are there connectors that have 4 prongs so that you can carry all 4 wires through it? I just need to be able to unplug things when I open the case. Anyone know where I could pick something like this up or able to give pics or examples?

I do not want to use the actual PSU plugs as the modular plugs. I am looking for a cleaner/custom look.

Thanks,
JS

They're called XLR or Circular DIN connectors and they're not very easy to find at reasonable prices mainly because they're meant for professional audio applications such as stage micrphones.
http://www.mouser.com has quite a few but none that are identical to the ones you just posted.

I have a bag full of 5-pin Circular DIN connectors and sockets if you want them.

The 5 Pin ones would most likely work. Just not hook anything up to the 5th one. Do you think that would work to make a PSU modular? Ironic that the man who built my case has the parts :). So what don't you have? Any way you can post a pick of those suckers?

270-din.jpg

arn't those the same connectors used for Commodore 64/128 devices? :D

Good luck on doing a modular PSU. it's a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.

Well ask captain about this case. I think its well worth the work :). Those look about perfect Captain. Is there enough wire there to solder the PSU wires on there? I would need 4 or 5 male and female connectors. Let me know how much I would owe you.

wc20.jpg

I used the 4 pin microphone connectors. I dont know what these are called but they are available at more electronic stores and are threaded. so if you have a holesaw, you could mount them to the case of your psu without much fuss. they also have threaded locks.
These are the same style of connector hiper uses on their psu's. very easy to solder to.

Anyone post pics of custome made modular PSU's that they have made? Kinda searching for design

please tell me if my picture doesnt show up. im having some trouble working around this stupid router. but i posted what i did in my old lanboy rig.

Back