• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU: Recommendations welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clarpet

Okay, before anyone flames me: YES, I READ THE HOW-TO STICKY about choosing a PSU. The one that hasn't been updated since 2008 and the one that has the most recent & relevant [nVidia SLI] reference being an 8800GTS.

I'm building a new system (reference bottom of post plz) and want advice on two very basic items regarding the PSU. Assume I'm doing some overclocking here, but realistic, air-cooled OC'ing, no crazy liquid nitro stuff :).

Please tell me:

1) If I get a PSU now for use only with a single, nVidia GTX 260 core 216 (EVGA) found here, which one(s) would you recommend and why?

2) I will likely eventually upgrade to SLi, but this will probably be a year or so down the road. Please tell me if you think I should a) get a PSU that would be practical for my current usage and support my SLi later (and what PSU you think that should be) or b) stick with a lower-power PSU and upgrade to a more powerful PSU later once I switch to SLi (if this is more affordable/practical).

I've always liked Antec power, but I'm open to suggestions. There's been quite a few changes since my last build so I want to hear it from the community as to what works and what doesn't.

Thanks, and any suggestions are welcome. Here's the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
RAM: GSKILL, 4GB DDR2 1066
VID: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache
CD/DVD: SAMSUNG SH-S222L DVD Burner

not sure if this is the answer your looking for but have you taken a look at something like this? (or similar) it allows you to use a "low end" psu and then just add this and this powers your GPU's

i have used it on a few builds in the past (buddy was to cheap to upgrade psu...) works great, and as far as i know he hasnt had any issues with it yet....

Okay, before anyone flames me: YES, I READ THE HOW-TO STICKY about choosing a PSU. The one that hasn't been updated since 2008 and the one that has the most recent & relevant [nVidia SLI] reference being an 8800GTS.

I'm building a new system (reference bottom of post plz) and want advice on two very basic items regarding the PSU. Assume I'm doing some overclocking here, but realistic, air-cooled OC'ing, no crazy liquid nitro stuff :).

Please tell me:

1) If I get a PSU now for use only with a single, nVidia GTX 260 core 216 (EVGA) found here, which one(s) would you recommend and why?

2) I will likely eventually upgrade to SLi, but this will probably be a year or so down the road. Please tell me if you think I should a) get a PSU that would be practical for my current usage and support my SLi later (and what PSU you think that should be) or b) stick with a lower-power PSU and upgrade to a more powerful PSU later once I switch to SLi (if this is more affordable/practical).

I've always liked Antec power, but I'm open to suggestions. There's been quite a few changes since my last build so I want to hear it from the community as to what works and what doesn't.

Thanks, and any suggestions are welcome. Here's the specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
RAM: GSKILL, 4GB DDR2 1066
VID: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache
CD/DVD: SAMSUNG SH-S222L DVD Burner

Here's the current recommended list in the "Stickys" above:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

Single 260: 500 - 550 watt in that list will do easily.

SLI 260: 650 - 750 watt in that list is more than enough.

A single 260 is about 125 - 135 watts. If a 550 watt will run one with room to spare, a 650 watt from that list will do the same for SLI 260s. Shopping for price among that list also is a factor. If you can get more for less money or for the same money, get it.

Many plans for "future" SLI fall by the wayside from lack of interest, lack of funds, a change of mind or wanting new technology. The 260s will be anceint technology in another year. Personally I buy what I need now and not a year from now because I don't know what I'll need a year from now, if anything.

not sure if this is the answer your looking for but have you taken a look at something like this? (or similar) it allows you to use a "low end" psu and then just add this and this powers your GPU's

i have used it on a few builds in the past (buddy was to cheap to upgrade psu...) works great, and as far as i know he hasnt had any issues with it yet....

Sorry! I realized when I read your response I may have worded my question funny.

My primary concern was not a graphics card PSU, but a system PSU that would account for the potential for SLi as I asked above. But its interesting that you can in fact give the GPU its own PSU.

Here's the current recommended list in the "Stickys" above:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

Single 260: 500 - 550 watt in that list will do easily.

SLI 260: 650 - 750 watt in that list is more than enough.

A single 260 is about 125 - 135 watts. If a 550 watt will run one with room to spare, a 650 watt from that list will do the same for SLI 260s. Shopping for price among that list also is a factor. If you can get more for less money or for the same money, get it.

Many plans for "future" SLI fall by the wayside from lack of interest, lack of funds, a change of mind or wanting new technology. The 260s will be anceint technology in another year. Personally I buy what I need now and not a year from now because I don't know what I'll need a year from now, if anything.

Well, a year from now a new 260 will probably be about $60-$70 at most, but that's a pretty cheap upgrade if I'm just looking for a little more graphics power and a lot cheaper that a full system upgrade, or even just new mobo, etc.

SLi is something I'm planning for as an interim upgrade before an overhaul...hopefully I catch stretch this gaming machine out for a year and 1/2 or even 2 before a major upgrade.

The power ranges you listed is about what I was planning, so that's cool.

One thing though: that IS the place I went to as a reference originally, however that first post doesn't explain modular vs non-modular. I've never seen that term used with PSUs. Care to explain?

Well, a year from now a new 260 will probably be about $60-$70 at most, but that's a pretty cheap upgrade if I'm just looking for a little more graphics power and a lot cheaper that a full system upgrade, or even just new mobo, etc.

SLi is something I'm planning for as an interim upgrade before an overhaul...hopefully I catch stretch this gaming machine out for a year and 1/2 or even 2 before a major upgrade.

The power ranges you listed is about what I was planning, so that's cool.

One thing though: that IS the place I went to as a reference originally, however that first post doesn't explain modular vs non-modular. I've never seen that term used with PSUs. Care to explain?

Check the links on the modulars for photos. Cables are detachable from the power supply that you don't use and can be stored away. Since your planning SLI, a modular is not for you because you will probably use all your cables anyhow and modulars are more expensive.

Check the links on the modulars for photos. Cables are detachable from the power supply that you don't use and can be stored away. Since your planning SLI, a modular is not for you because you will probably use all your cables anyhow and modulars are more expensive.

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W. Leaves me room for expansion, I can use it when I add SLi w/no worry about power and if I transition to i7 I should still be good.

Opinions?

I've got it's big brother, and am VERY pleased with it. I went for the modular version, simply for cable control.

So apart from "cable control" there's no advantages/disadvantages to mod/non-mod PSUs?

There's no real difference between and modular/non modular design

Modular gives you the option to use only the cables you need, which reduces cable clutter in the case. The cables you don't use, you can store in the bag provided with the PSU.

Non-Modular designs have the "PSU Squid" permanently connected.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago and went with an 850 watt enermax just to be on the safe side. If you get more than you need it won't have to work at the edge of it's limits and you know there will still be plenty of juice when it gets a little older and worn down. Plus you want to overclock so that takes more power. Just my biased opinion. i say Antec signature 850w, Corsair HX850, or Enermax revolution 850w.

There's no real difference between and modular/non modular design

Modular gives you the option to use only the cables you need, which reduces cable clutter in the case. The cables you don't use, you can store in the bag provided with the PSU.

Non-Modular designs have the "PSU Squid" permanently connected.

Thank you for clarifying that :) Much appreciated! (can you tell I've been out of the OC game for a minute?)

MARCI agree, but here we are speaking about TX750 (widely used CWT PSH platform) and HX750 (brand new amazing CWT DSG platform).

Brando Very good recommendation. Top three dogs ATM. :thup:

Burebista, I was clarifying the differences, in general, between modular and non-modular designs. I'm not qualified to talk specific psus, because I've not used them, I found one that worked for me, and will use it for a LONG time.

Back