• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pull out your plastic! Buying a new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LookinRealSaucy

Registered
Looking for a reasonably priced motherboard (preferably ASUS or MSI) to get with an Intel i5-3570k. I'd like to get 2x4gb DRAM modules as well (coolermaster 212 EVO heatsink will cover a ram slot).

I'm considering this motherboard here.

A penny for your thoughts.

For Hyper212 level overclocks, you can go way cheaper. ASRock Extreme3/4 are the go to budget boards for Z77.

There's no logical reason to build on a 3 series cpu. Get a 4 series CPU. The CPU you want is the 4670K. Yes the board you'd selected is a good board but you don't need anything near that to push a 4670K.

Get a Z87 motherboard in the $130-150 dollar range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

And a 4670K cpu.

You'll also want a slightly beefier heatsink. The newer chips run hotter. Maybe a Corsair H80i.

How much of a drop in quality are we talking/is it significant?

Significant, I guess? MSI MPower series was for entry level benchmarking if I remember correctly, liquid nitrogen and dry ice and such. Way overkill for what you need. Even though it's a lower quality board, an average user would never tell the difference.

How much of a drop in quality are we talking/is it significant?

It's a significant reduction in the VRM section of the motherboard from the Mpower to the ASRock board. But the point is that with a hyper 212, which isn't a very significant heatsink, you don't need much of a board.

Still think you should get a 4670K... unless you HAVE the 3570K already for some reason.

It's a significant reduction in the VRM section of the motherboard from the Mpower to the ASRock board. But the point is that with a hyper 212, which isn't a very significant heatsink, you don't need much of a board.

Still think you should get a 4670K... unless you HAVE the 3570K already for some reason.

After looking into it, I agree. The 4670k has higher consistant performance, at least according to cpu-world. Considering that, how does this motherboard look?

There's no logical reason to build on a 3 series cpu. Get a 4 series CPU. The CPU you want is the 4670K. Yes the board you'd selected is a good board but you don't need anything near that to push a 4670K.

Oh come now, there have got to be some logical reasons.

If I had found a deal where a 3XXX CPU was half the price of a similar 4XXX CPU I think it would be a logical choice.

If one finds a great deal on a slightly older model, and the new one isn't on sale, why not buy the older one, assuming it is similar in performance to the new model line?

Or maybe a friend builds a new system and gifts you their old CPU (or sells cheaply).

After looking into it, I agree. The 4670k has higher consistant performance, at least according to cpu-world. Considering that, how does this motherboard look?

Equal clock speed, I think a 4670K might be around 8% faster than a 3570K? Don't remember for sure off the top of my head. Course it OCs a bit worse, but the improvements more than make up for that. Add that to some bonus stuff like more SATAIII ports, longer lifespan (not physically, but existence on the market, since IB is going to to be phased out now), no vdroop, it's worth it.

As Tech mentioned, it does depend on the exact price difference. Seems to be pretty minimal though, $30 or so.

The price difference I observed for the cpus alone (on newegg) was $20. That being said, would the mobo I mentioned previously stand up to your guys' scrutiny?

Eh, that's not a bad board either. There's a lot of good options at similar price range with the Z87 range, you got the MSI Z87-G45, the ASRock Extreme3/4, ASUS Z87-A, and the Gigabyte Z87X-D3H/UD3H all within $20 or so of each other.

Back