• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump makes drilling machine like sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IDuelZz

Good morning everyone,
yesterday i installed my first costum loop cooling my CPU.
Now the VPP755(the pump) started to make Really loud humming noises.
First i througth the neibhours started to drill a hole until i realized it was my pump.
Any idea what could cause it?

Most likely you have air inside the pump which is causing cavitation. I would try to bleed the air out of the system by tilting the pc at different angles to free the pump of air bubbles. Are you getting good flow through the loop?

First thank you for your reply.
I trought this myself and tried to tilt it modestly 10-20 degrees but i assume that won't be enough?
It's also hardly to say if there is any flow at all, thanks to mayhem pastel. (Or is it only me?)
I also forgot to Link the video with noise. Noisy Video
I will try to tilt it a Little bit more later.

EDIT:Found the button and edited the link. Seems there is no on the mobile version(?)

Last edited:
Make sure that you don't have the dial in the back set to 5 (full blast) as this will keep introducing cavitation creating air bubbles and you'll keep hearing that "grinding/drilling" noise. Set the pump dial to 3 and keep titling the case side by side, but don't be gentle (but don't be forceful either) by titling it "slowly". You need to bang it a little to knock the bubbles out. Just be a tiny bit forceful and the bubble will release themselves.

I used a sneaker to bang the radiator a little to get the trapped air out.

Ok im going on bleeding it out i can tell Dome small bubbles go out but Would you guys say it's dangerless to operate the pump Even it makes this Noise?

Ok im going on bleeding it out i can tell Dome small bubbles go out but Would you guys say it's dangerless to operate the pump Even it makes this Noise?

Again the noise you're hearing is the pump speed being set too high and you're getting cavitation which results in small bubbles being made. At that rate the bubbles will not come out and you'll be hearing that noise all the time. Set the pump speed dial to either #3 or #2 and start tilting the case. Over time the bubbles will come out. It will take time. No it's not dangerous to run the pump that way. It IS dangerous to run the pump dry.

Sorry that i misexpress myself.
I already set the speed to 3 and started to tilt the case about 45° in all directions and try to knock the bubbles out with shaking and hitting like i would try to wake someone up and even a little more.
This way came many bubbles out but the noise still there. At this point it seems no more bubbles want to come out. Should i reduce the speed even further?

Sorry that i misexpress myself.
I already set the speed to 3 and started to tilt the case about 45° in all directions and try to knock the bubbles out with shaking and hitting like i would try to wake someone up and even a little more.
This way came many bubbles out but the noise still there. At this point it seems no more bubbles want to come out. Should i reduce the speed even further?

Drop it down to #2. Don't drop it down anymore. Too low will not get the bubbles out. Keep your eyes on the resevoir and fill it when it gets low. Turn the machine off for a while and restart it every now and then. This will also help get the bubbles out.

So for the past 30min i continued watching tilting and shaking without seeing any bubble, i could be missing them while shaking. For the fillstand i see no problem it´s a 400ml res filled ~60-70% and ~15% of the res volume of air already came out yesterday and i think so much won´t be in the system anymore. For the resting part does the length impact the effect or should i only let it rest for 1-2min? Letting it work for some time won´t help either i think?

I run an on/off cycle about every 15 minutes.

Like so:

Power on-let it run 30min
Power-off -wait 15min
power-on-let it run 30min

Every time you power it on, tilt the case every few minutes, but let it run for 30min. Then power-off and wait 15min before powering up again. This will help the bubbles escape and rise to the top of the resevoir. Keep the dial on the pump set to #2. Over a while you will see most, if not all, the bubbles gone and you won't hear the drilling/grinding noise. It takes time for all the air to come out so be patient. Be sure the resevior is full at least 80%.

Lightly tap your pump and tubing to help lodge these air pockets out. Careful if its hard tubing because you don't want them accidentally fall off.

Also, that pump I've read can be problematic so I would do a little research on it.

I will also add that color fluids aren't that great imo. You'll just stain your gear in the long run.

Does your cooling system seem to be doing it's job well as far as keeping the CPU cool under load?

Did you let the pump run with no liquid in it at any point in time while you were setting it up? Even a little?

First of all thanks for everyone who is trying to help.

Does your cooling system seem to be doing it's job well as far as keeping the CPU cool under load?

Did you let the pump run with no liquid in it at any point in time while you were setting it up? Even a little?

30-36°C in idle, 50-60°C under Prime95 while ~28°C Case temp. So i would assume the temps are all fine.
Thanks to the abbility of my res to contain more liquid as the rest of the system i only needed to fill it once and the res/pump never run dry even for once.
Every thing worked fine for the first couple of hours.

You know that alot of those pumps had bad impellers. There is info on the net about them.
I had to RMA a couple myself.

Back