• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM Fan Speed Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xterra

I have a Gibabyte Z87-UD3H board and I am using the board controlled fan controllers. My question is simple: the bios gives me PWM ranges from 0.75 PWM to 2.50 PWM /Celsius when setting manual control; Which side of that scale will set my case fans to 100% RPMs? This is my first experience with PWM fan controllers, I have normally used molex "l-m-h" fan speed controls.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure on that board but I bet its in your manual. On the ASRock boards its something similar, like a value of 0-255 so I just did the simple math of if I want the base fan speed to be 33% of max I set the value to 84 and 100% would be 255. Because the PWM does not control fan speed with voltage and uses the pulse width modulation there shouldn't be any over voltage settings possible. Most CPU PWM fan headers only carry 1amp at 12V so make sure you are within that range and you should be good. If you want to use more fans grab a PWM splitter.

Thanks for the info - I will experiment later tonight to see how I can lock in higher sustained RPMs.

Back