• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 on a Geforce4 MX 440 AGP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ken B.

I have a Geforce4 MX 440 card, it's pitiful, I know. However, Quake 4 seemed to install perfectly, I have the latest Forceware drivers, DirectX 9, Service Pack 2 for XP. This is a fresh install, the system kicks *** in most respects (not modern gaming prolly). When I start the game, the initial menu comes up (the very first one), but then those short videos for ID, Raven Software, and Activision just appear mostly blank with several garbled lines randomly jumping all over. I can hear the audio perfectly. It seems like it's gonna work, but something is missing???

Any help is appreciated.

And yes, I know the graphics will suck, even if I get it to work.

Setup: Via 133A chipset, Pentium III 1.470 Ghz (512k L2, tualatin core), 512MB SDRAM running at 140Mhz, AGP set to 4X (max supported), last known BIOS installed, Creative SBlive, Seagate 120GB w/ 8MB cache.

So this card would need to be DX9 in order to work? I did look on the box and it does say required, but I thought that might be BS. I did notice that the box says that Geforece 4/TI series is supported, but I could not tell if that meant a Titanium card only, or any Geforce4 card, including Ti cards.

The GF4MX supports features only up to DX 7.1. the version you have installed doesnt matter.

if it says REQUIRED on a box, its not bs.

and whenever they say Geforce4, if it doesnt specifically say MX...which it doesnt...then dont count on it.

Ken B. said:
So this card would need to be DX9 in order to work? I did look on the box and it does say required, but I thought that might be BS. I did notice that the box says that Geforece 4/TI series is supported, but I could not tell if that meant a Titanium card only, or any Geforce4 card, including Ti cards.

The good news is you can get a really good Dx9 capable AGP card for cheap. However, I wouldn't invest anymore money into your current PC. Once you have access to the classifieds, you can find a lot of good hardware for really,really cheap.

I bought my: CPU, Mem, PSU, 2x Raptors, 2x Sanyo Denki fans, and Motherboard all from the classfieds on this site. Saved a bundle too!

Ken B. said:

AFAIK you need a DX8 card, and the GF4 MX is a cut down version which only supports DX7.

dan

No, not yet. I will later today, though. Thanks for the idea.

I installed Doom 3 on my friend's pc running a 64mb geforce4 MX and it worked alright. Looked horrific compared to my normal setup, but it gave me something to do when she was in the shower or whatever.

Wrong!

Dan0512 said:
AFAIK you need a DX8 card, and the GF4 MX is a cut down version which only supports DX7.

dan
The mx 440 8x agp version is dx8.So It will work but not support all the graphics.

Hardin said:
If Doom 3 works with a Geforce 4 MX then I would be surprised if Quake 4 doesn't.

Surprise! Here's the list of cards that Doom 3 will play on:

* ATI® RadeonTM 8500
* ATI® RadeonTM 9000
* ATI® RadeonTM 9200
* ATI® RadeonTM 9500
* ATI® RadeonTM 9600
* ATI® RadeonTM 9700
* ATI® RadeonTM 9800
* All nVidia® GeForceTM 3/Ti series
* All nVidia® GeForceTM 4MX series
* All nVidia® GeForceTM 4/Ti series
* All nVidia® GeForceTM FX series
* nVidia® GeForceTM 6800

And here's the list for Quake 4
* ATI® Radeon® 9700
* ATI® Radeon® 9800
* ATI® Radeon® X300
* ATI® Radeon® X550
* ATI® Radeon® X600
* ATI® Radeon® X700
* ATI® Radeon® X800
* ATI® Radeon® X850
* all Nvidia® GeForce 3/TI Series
* all Nvidia® GeForce 4/TI Series
* all Nvidia® GeForce FX Series
* all Nvidia® GeForce 6 Series
* all Nvidia® GeForce 7 Series

There are some differences, notably the GF4 MX series was dropped. The reason is that Quake requires at least Shader Model 1.1 support, which the MX series does not. I took these lists straight from id's website.

deltaxx33 said:
The mx 440 8x agp version is dx8.So It will work but not support all the graphics.

No, none of the Geforce 4 MX series properly support DX8, they are all Geforce 2 derivatives.

However according to wikipedia older nvidia drivers allowed for software emulated shader model 1.1 (DX 8.0) without much performance cost, though apparently this was dropped from newer ones. They list driver 53.xx as having this feature, so it might be worth a try.

Well, I downloaded the Doom 3 demo, and it won't work either.

What's going on here. At least Id says that Doom 3 should work on this thing.

I don't get it.

Also, where can I download 53.xx drivers? Nvidia only lists versions way newer than that.

Well, I tried the Doom 3 demo and the older 53.xx drivers, still no go.

I give up.

What i don't get is if it is a OpenGL game, why doesn't it work on a card that supports openGL? What is this thing about DirectX 9, when Quake and Doom are OpenGL games?

I just acquired a Geforce 4 MX400 but I'm in the middle of exams, afterwards I'll have a play and see if I can get it to work.

Back