• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about backward flashing of bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

This question is with reference to my other post outling the problem I am having with the bios on my ASRock mobo strangly puttting an artifciallly low ceiling on the parameters controlling CPU maximum voltage and frequency and CPU NB frequency. To recap, since changing from a PI X3 8750 be to a Athlon II X4 630 those choices are grayed out and limited to 1.375v, 3500 mhz, and 2500 mhz repectively. I have the latest version of the bios already installed and the ASRock website lists the Athlon II X4 630 as one of the CPUs covered by this bios version.

My question is, what is likely to happen if I flash the bios with a bios version previous to the inclusion of the Athlon II X4 series? I realize it won't have information needed to correctly identify the chip but is it likely to boot? If it will perhaps it may allow me to manually adjust those bios setting that are now grayed out. Actually, I still have the PI X3 8750 if I need to temporailly reinstall it to reflash the bios but it's a lot of trouble to remove and remount my TRUE cooler if it problably won't work. What do you think?

Back