• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about CPU and GPU Wu output

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuper

Hey,

I am thinking about putting together a new (semi inexpensive) computer for work and was wondering if there was a site for WU output. I am not looking to overclock or anything just wondering roughly what I should expect.

thanks

There isn't really a consolidated place with this information unfortunately, searching our site or the s@h site is the best bet.
QuietIce did put together a thread in this forum with data for several CUDA cards recently.

What kinda of system where you thinking about building? I'm sure we can give you a fairly decent idea of what you could expect.

Last edited:
Hey mate :)

By 'WU output' do you mean RAC? If so, there are some great threads around OCF (or the SETI forum - which is down at the moment... for me, anyway) which give you these numbers.

If you're looking for price/performance ratio, well, I'm not sure about CPUs, but I'm pretty sure the sweet spot for price/performance is the GTX216 for GPUs. I run one on a single core CPU with CPU crunching disabled (i.e. entirely GPU-only crunching) and I get ~12500-13000 RAC overclocked.. stock, probably somewhere around 11-11.5k RAC.

CPU wise, as I said not sure on pricing, but even the 'best' CPU will be out-crunched by a reasonably high-mid/low-high end GPU (if you know what I mean.. top of the middle/bottom of the top class)... seriously, those things are beasts :santa:.

From what I remember, a i7 920 at stock will get ~6-7k RAC w/ HT on (correct me if I'm wrong!) Probably 4-5k RAC w/ HT off

If by 'WU output' you mean something else, then I apologise! What I've just said probably isn't overly helpful lol

I'll second that. I took Duner and Careface's advice earlier and bought one 260-216.. and I am pleased with the price/performance.. and in fact just picked up a second card. These cards were upgrades for my 9800 GTs, and I wanted more performance, yet I still love these 9800s.

If you want to try another angle for greatest bang for the buck, try this calculation: Pick a few cards that are in the BOINC CUDA support list.., determine the GFLOPS for each model.. then, find their AS-SHIPPED price (total price + tax and shipping) from a few places like Newegg and Amazon. Then divide the cost by the GFLOPS and that should render the cheapest $ per GFLOP deal.

I think you'll find the lower end CUDA cards offer the best deal per GFLOP.

HOLY CR-P!!! Didn't know that GPUs were that good. I really have lost track of the computer market in the last 3 years, I would be embarrassed posting up what I use:D

I was thinking of building something off the i5 chip but really have no clue anymore. Do they push out tons more RAC than the Core 2 Quad's?

HOLY CR-P!!! Didn't know that GPUs were that good. I really have lost track of the computer market in the last 3 years, I would be embarrassed posting up what I use:D

I was thinking of building something off the i5 chip but really have no clue anymore. Do they push out tons more RAC than the Core 2 Quad's?

Cuper, here's a link that compares my Core i7 (and this is basically stock speed of 2.8GHz) to a Core 2 Duo. I always run 8 threads; so I'm running about 4 times the RAC as the Core 2. So this chip should be about 2x as fast as a C2Q at 2.5 GHz or so. I don't have any info on the core i5 so I can't speak about that.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/workunit.php?wuid=586263224

It took awhile to find someone running the optimized client...come ON people ;-)

I'd be happy to add it in but I'll need all the information on it. The nVidia wiki page doesn't list a "GTX216" and there are several cards that use the GT216 core so I'd need shader:mapping:render numbers, core speed, core, etc.

Edit:
DOH! I guess you mean a GTX260 w/216 shaders? I'll add it as soon as Careface posts the speed he's running ... :)

Last edited:
It's all in my sig, running 24/7.

3 x GTX 260, 9800GX2, 2 x 9800GT, 8800GT, 9600GT, Phenom 9500, Propus 620, Q9300 and old school A64 3500+.

My DAC is at 69000 right now.

I just bought a second GTX260-216sp so as to have a pair in the same machine.. to my chagrin, I found that due to a custom GPU back-plate (part of manufacturers special heat-sync/fan).. it is not possible to mount these cards side by side.. or in any way within this ATX motherboard/mid-tower rig configuration. Since I want to use both cards, I am at a loss on how I might achieve this. I removed the GPU fan shroud which let me install both, side-by-side, but the make-shift fans I rigged up failed to cool the GPUs sufficiently.

Also I have been running a single 9800GT 24/7 but still have not reached peak RAC

Back