• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about DDR3L Laptop Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I was in the process of upgrading the new Alienware 14 when I ran across some issues. As it turned out it only supports DDR3L memory. When I tried to install my DDR3 GSkill it wouldn't work(1.5V). I did have some Crucial modules which were at 1.35V and they worked just fine. Can I assume that any laptop modules @1.35V are considered DDR3L and would work?

In theory all laptops should support 1.5V and additionally 1.35V but hard to say if all are going to act the same. I would ask Dell support or check laptop documents like compatibility list or something like that. Maybe it just needs BIOS update, hard to say.

All laptops that I was upgrading from Dell, Lenovo and Sony were working fine with both 1.35 and 1.50V memory. I actually bought G.Skill 1600 9-9-9 1.50V for my laptop just because 1.35V were unavailable and it came with 1x4GB 1600 11-11-11 1.35V.

In theory all laptops should support 1.5V and additionally 1.35V but hard to say if all are going to act the same. I would ask Dell support or check laptop documents like compatibility list or something like that. Maybe it just needs BIOS update, hard to say.

All laptops that I was upgrading from Dell, Lenovo and Sony were working fine with both 1.35 and 1.50V memory. I actually bought G.Skill 1600 9-9-9 1.50V for my laptop just because 1.35V were unavailable and it came with 1x4GB 1600 11-11-11 1.35V.

I actually did call Dell when my 1.5V GSkill memory was not working, and I was getting a series of 4 beeps continuously. They told me that it required DDR3L and coincidentally I had some Crucial 1.35V and it worked just fine.....thanks for the response Woomack

Back