• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About FX 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RB1991

Registered
Is it safe to run overclock at 4.1ghz under such low voltage? i mean i can only overclock this CPU with voltages on this range (1.2 - 1.36)
Atm my overclock looks like this :

Vcore-1.272
Core speed - 4.1ghz
Clock 20.5
Bus speed -200

My setup : cpu- amd 8120
Motherboard - Sabertooth 990FX (1st version)
Gpu: amd 5750

Temps :
Current 45ºc-46ºC ( almost all prime95 test)
Max Temp : 49ºc

Screenshots:
lvfDbWC.png nIEXXXh.png
EqcnQoz.jpg

Also My lcc and other stuff under bios is like this :
QALhxFZ.png y75ZCJN.png

Last edited:
Well, go for a 12 hours Prime95 (blend) run, with core temp or hw monitor open to check your temps (62°C max on the core).

If it goes through, you're golden!

The lower the voltage, the better ;)

Thanks for the reply ,

Oh i didnt know that , i see most ppl go for 1.4 v for 4.1ghz

I already did that, not 12 hours but a 10 h i might say , but i can do that tonight.

So my temps (core temps ) after a 10h prime ( blend) go to max 58 , but it stays on 58 very short, it runs at 49 -50 almost all test.

but the thing is, i can go and push more? I see its good boost on this overclock, but its nothing superb xD, i mean I didnt touch on the NB frequency and other stuff , only through multiplier :)

10hours is fine though!

You're golden!

If you have the buck, get a H100/H110 (that you will be able to reuse in your next rig, long time investment;)), and push it to 4.8/5GHz!

You might get a couple of hundreds MHz with the cooler you use now (stock, I guess?) without reaching the danger zone.

oh nice to know im "golden" :D, i always thought my cpuz was a mess ^^, i mean i never could go for 4.1 ,4.2 GHz cause of my temps under 1.4 + voltage.

I have the noctua nh-d14, do you think is worth buy that cooler h100 ?

Right now my priorites are the ram and psu, but you know Europe is at crysis and i dont have that much Money :D

With the NH-D14, your temps should be muuucch lower with such voltage.

You should be able to reach 4.5/4.6 without problem.

Try a reseat of the heatsink.

Don't put too much TIM: a small pea/rice size in the middle of the CPU is enough. It will spread when you tighten the NH-D14.

What TIM do you use?

RB1991 ...... when you do your re-test can you download and have HWMoniter by Qupid running while you do your test and post a snap shot of this when you are done. This will show all the important settings as well as temps for your motherboard. Also what is the temp in your room when you are running your test.

The H100 is a pretty good cooler and you should get a bit more of an OC with better temps but I can not see you getting anywhere near 4.8 or 5 GHZ STABLE with it. That's just my opinion but even with a full custom loop I can't get decent temps on my FX 8150 above 4.9GHZ that's whit an ambient temp of around 16 - 18*C. Now if all you are trying to do is get some higher benchmarks and stability isn't your primary concern then ......

RB1991 ...... when you do your re-test can you download and have HWMoniter by Qupid running while you do your test and post a snap shot of this when you are done. This will show all the important settings as well as temps for your motherboard. Also what is the temp in your room when you are running your test.

The H100 is a pretty good cooler and you should get a bit more of an OC with better temps but I can not see you getting anywhere near 4.8 or 5 GHZ STABLE with it. That's just my opinion but even with a full custom loop I can't get decent temps on my FX 8150 above 4.9GHZ that's whit an ambient temp of around 16 - 18*C. Now if all you are trying to do is get some higher benchmarks and stability isn't your primary concern then ......

Agreed: 4.5/4.6 with a NH-D14, 4.7/4.8 with a H100/H110 and 4.9/5GHz+ with a custom loop.

My 8120 was doing 4.9ish with a custom loop. 5ish when ambient below 20°C...

Hi again :)

So after 30 min of prime95 (blend) this are my temps :

lvfDbWC.png nIEXXXh.png
EqcnQoz.jpg

Btw i think my cooler might be broken or something :S, what temps should i might be under this voltage and with this cooler?

EDIT: prime still running, 1hour and core temp still at 45-46 all the time, i think it only reach 49 at the start and then always 45 - 46

Last edited:
45°C, you're fine: you have 20°C headroom!

Thats good , temps drop like -10 cº since i reseat the heatsink.

Prime95 still running, and max and current temps still no change.

Now its 44-45 actualy, almost all time, sometimes go to 47 -48 and then estabilize at 44 again.

So you think i can get a 4.2 /4,3 GHz with this temps?

Last edited:
So i manage to get 4.2 GHz, but now i had to bump a bit more voltage as well cpu/nb voltage and nb voltage,

Cpu voltage - 1.30625
Cpu/nb -1.26
Nb voltage - 1.15

I dont know but with stock cpu/nb and nb voltage, it gives me bsod, so i incrise it a bit.
Temps-

Current 48ºc (48 -51 almost all time running prime)
Max temp 53ºc

DpJ8ePS.jpg

Also My lcc and other stuff under bios is like this :
QALhxFZ.png y75ZCJN.png

EDIT:Meh, Nvm , after 45 min of prime95 (blend) core 8 stops working :S , What shall i bump next? rise cpu voltage? ( I kinda like my 1.27v when i was at 4.1ghz :D)
EDIT 2: I rise a bit more the cpu/nb and NB voltage : CPU/NB- 1.27500 / NB voltage 1.15625 and I run Prime95 (blend) and it last 1h30m, until 1 core fail.

Last edited:
Core fails usually mean you need a tad more VCore so bump your CPU v by another bit, you probably wont need much if you lasted 1 h 30min on your last run.

If you don't mind please install HWMoniter ..... http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ...... and post a screen shot of it after you have run prime next time.

You wont find many people here that use AI Suite as it is very buggy and can introduce instability in your OC. There are a few threads here of issues people have had with it if you feel like looking.

If you don't mind please install HWMoniter ..... http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ...... and post a screen shot of it after you have run prime next time.

You wont find many people here that use AI Suite as it is very buggy and can introduce instability in your OC. There are a few threads here of issues people have had with it if you feel like looking.

Yes, 'bassnut' we don't care what they run for temps on their own but when asking for help in this forum section it is HWMonitor that we use. Without HWM captures, the wheels just spin in the mud. Crank up HWMonitor before beginning to stress the system and after the stressing is over with, then capture the needed data of HWMonitor and the picture of what is going on at a computer miles away is a lot clearer to those being asked to help with an overclock.

AI Suite for many has been like lowering the left rear tire down to about 15lbs of air pressure and then driving the vehicle. It sort of drives, but it just does not seem to drive like it should. Something odd is going on. That is what Ai Suite has done to many and they fully un-installed the app and things just suddenly seemed better. Odd thing some software.
RGone...

Core fails usually mean you need a tad more VCore so bump your CPU v by another bit, you probably wont need much if you lasted 1 h 30min on your last run.
You wont find many people here that use AI Suite ...

Hi and thanks for the reply, AI Suite never fail on my rig, I only install the tools I need ( monitor, Turbo V, DIGI power, and termal radar, and its the last version avaible on asus( not the one for my board, but the last sabertooth version. besides that i like AI suite cause i can see all temps arround my motherboard and it let me to overclock without restart the PC and see if i can overclock then on the BIOS, also the DIGI toll its quick good because its in realtime and i can adjust the temperature more easily.

Beside that I see the fórum preferes the HWmonitor to see temperatures, I personally prefer Coretemp plus AI Suite, for thus I can see my cpu core temps as well as around the motherboard.

As requested ive run my overclock stable, 4.2ghz (previously tested for 10 hours, still going to test tonight a full 12h or maybe 24h) for 1h and these are the temperatures that I reached :

Idle & Under Load

k4d6a8a.png BpgQ5B4.png

d3BRVUP.png RBuZTJ2.png

AI Suite for many has been like lowering the left rear tire down to about 15lbs of air pressure and then driving the vehicle. It sort of drives, but it just does not seem to drive like it should. Something odd is going on. That is what Ai Suite has done to many and they fully un-installed the app and things just suddenly seemed better. Odd thing some software.
RGone...

Yeah You are right, even tho this last version of AI seems very stable for me, I have to admite, asus is not good giving updates for his apps, even for its BIOS, my Sabertooth 990FX( the first one for FX) the last BIOS update is somewhere in october 2012 and if you see asus updates his software and a month later they go for another product, lets say Sabertooth 990FX V2 , and then only update the newer one and the older becames outdated ( sorry my english :/

Last edited:
RB1991 said:
Yeah You are right, even tho this last version of AI seems very stable for me, I have to admite, asus is not good giving updates for his apps, even for its BIOS, my Sabertooth 990FX( the first one for FX) the last BIOS update is somewhere in october 2012 and if you see asus updates his software and a month later they go for another product, lets say Sabertooth 990FX V2 , and then only update the newer one and the older becames outdated ( sorry my english :/

Well you know everyone rushes to flash the latest bios and if a bios does not say in the README that it addresses a problem that I am having, then I never flash a later bios. I am in much the same position with my CHV mobo. It is not the second revision which is the CHV-z board. I have not even looked to see if their top of the line CHV board has a new bios version. I do not intend to do so. Why? My FX-8350 could not run any better than it does by me staying on the second bios released for FX cpus. I do NOT want a newer bios. I have no problems and my FX-8350 clocks like a wild thing. The other 4 bioses released for my CHV board can stay on the Asus server. I don't need them. But then that is me. I have done this for a long time. I have worked for a mobo company. I know what happens in a bios. I will stay with the best working one for me and leave the bios updating to others. YMMV.
RGone...

^AGreed: if it works, keep it.

I don't remember of any bios update having allowed a better overclock, or better stability...

Back