• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about silver kill coils

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SubPar

My question is this would you be able to use a kill coil in a garden fountain(odd i know) to combat algae buildup? It makes sense to me but i want to know if im even on the right track :confused:

ED, legit question. Do you think a single kill coil would control algae in a whole fountain/pond? Or is there a formula for amount of silver per liter of water or something? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. :)

Oh dear Lord...excuse me for a minute while I adjust my bifocals...:chair:

Reading > me. :rofl:

I can't imagine, but have no idea if it would work with that much water... I'm doubting it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys i'll let my father in law know I'm not as smart as I thought I was :facepalm:

Oh dear Lord...excuse me for a minute while I adjust my bifocals...:chair:

Reading > me. :rofl:

I can't imagine, but have no idea if it would work with that much water... I'm doubting it.

lol glad you figured out what my point was after all :thup:

I have been using only 1 silver kill coil with distill water and 3 big radiators 2 360mm and 1 480mm. Almost 6 months into watercooling. No algae what so ever yet. I am thinking, should I add 1 more kill coil? because I have massive amount of radiator. Or just leave it alone. What do you think I should do?

I think you answered your own question there Bruce... if you don't have any, and one is working fine... why would you add another?

No one has mentioned this so far (though maybe alluded to it), but silver wont prevent algae. My loop has silver tygon, a silver bullet plug and a full length of silver coil, yet it still developed algae (water was contaminated). Couple of drops of HTH Super Extended algae guard (it's the exact same stuff Petra uses in their tiny bottle of PT Nuke) and it killed off the algae and had been algae free and clear since. It still had some residue of dead algae in the loop when I took it apart the other day, but other then that everything is in good condition.

I have been using only 1 silver kill coil with distill water and 3 big radiators 2 360mm and 1 480mm. Almost 6 months into watercooling. No algae what so ever yet. I am thinking, should I add 1 more kill coil? because I have massive amount of radiator. Or just leave it alone. What do you think I should do?

I have the same amount of rad as you minus 1x 120 mm's worth rad. I've had my loop running for almost 3 years and no problems. I use photo nuke and 2 silver compressor fittings. I have only topped up the water as it evaporated. I will be posting a thread on it soon.

No one has mentioned this so far (though maybe alluded to it), but silver wont prevent algae. My loop has silver tygon, a silver bullet plug and a full length of silver coil, yet it still developed algae (water was contaminated). Couple of drops of HTH Super Extended algae guard (it's the exact same stuff Petra uses in their tiny bottle of PT Nuke) and it killed off the algae and had been algae free and clear since. It still had some residue of dead algae in the loop when I took it apart the other day, but other then that everything is in good condition.

The silver needs to dissolve in the water. If you used highly contaminated water, or your water remained very neutral pH balanced, your silver concentration would remain incredibly low in the water... basically doing nothing. Silver will kill algae, but it needs to have the effective concentration in solution to do anything. Another problem would be too much copper in solution as well.

I'd be willing to guess your silver strip looked full and intact? Algeacide is probably the best bet honestly.

Back