• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about socket types on ASUS AM3 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scottw182

Registered
When searching boards on newegg, there are a few different options for socket type that include AM3:

AM2+/AM3
AM3
AM3/AM2+/AM2

It seems that the boards that only support AM3 are the only true AM3 boards, with support for DDR3 memory. The ones that also support AM2 or AM2 + are basically AM2/AM2+ boards that have a BIOS update allowing them to run the AM3 processor, but it's still an AM2 board, with DDR2 memory support.

Is all of this correct? If so, is there any performance lost when running an AM3 processor on an AM2 board? Are there any other disadvantages to doing this? Should I basically try to stick to an AM3 only board if I want to run an AM3 processor?

There is no performance lost running a am3 cpu on a am2+ board, the only difference is the ram used.

My recommendation is if you are building from scratch, get the AM3 board with ddr3 ram. If you have an old AM2+ board, save yourself the cash and use the old board.

Back