• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about vid, i7 3rd gen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hi guys, I have a question about vid, since its not listed in the ark like my old x5690.

Looking at core temp, there is a box marked VID, and when running with the green stuff on it fluctuates from under a volt, to roughly 1.21v and some change. Would that be considered stock voltage range? Because to me it does. And since I have gotten this far with my question, maybe I will ask another. I can do 4500mhz with 1.215v, no problem, running intel burn test temps peak at roughly 80c. Awesome I thought. But no matter what, I cannot get this cpu to pass ibt using the x46 multi and up. Ive tried mooar volts. A lot more, I think I gave up at 1.35 or so. But when running with all the green stuff on, I can hit the x47 no problem, but the board just piles on the voltage, causing insane temps.

Is 4500 the best I can get from this thing? I was hoping for the magical x50, but I'm not so sure.. Also, slight observation from looking at various reviews. This board lets you add +140w, but the maximus or something I saw on overclockers.com gave you +150w. Does that extra 10w make that much difference? Do you think I'm at the limit of the cpu so soon, or maybe the board? I'm leaning towards operator error.

Thanks in advance :thup:

Things you could try .
what is your cache multi @ . I would un sync it and try @ 40 .
You could try turning HT off and see if you have any gains with that .

Things you could try .
what is your cache multi @ . I would un sync it and try @ 40 .
You could try turning HT off and see if you have any gains with that .

AFAIK its synched, I saw it in aida64 cache and mem bench. But I don't think I can adjust it manually. I didn't see the option anywhere in the bios..

Then try raising the cache voltage . I find with mine I need close to the same voltages ( so when I bench try and have 45x cache so I use 1.3v as that around what my CPu wants @ 4.5 to be stable) Most would consider that high but its what mine likes . Ivy didnt have as good luck with higher ratios .

Do you have the most updated Bios ?

he got 4.6 with 1.19 v
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/P8Z77-V/12.html

Awesome buddy, thanks for the tips! I will try raising cache voltage and see what happens. The only voltage I changed was vcore and vdimm, so I will give it a go :thup:

1.17 gets me 4.4, rock solid. That’s why I have a hard time believing that’s all this cpu has. I literally just left x58 and jumped into this, so I’m still pretty new to this :D

I’m learning so it’s all good :thup:

Edit:

Now that I'm on my computer, I don't see anything about cache voltage in the bios. Ahh well.

Last edited:
3rd gen had VIDs between 1.1V and 1.2V. Most of them had something like 1.15-1.17V. I guess you will need +0.05V each +1 CPU ratio so 1.22-1.23V at 4.5GHz, 1.27-1.28V at 4.6GHz ... bigger steps were usually starting from 4.8-4.9GHz.
So far looks good and I see you have 4.5GHz 1.215V in sig already :)

Thank you sir :salute:

Yes, 4.5 was very easy to achieve, after that, I chickened out @ 4.6 with 1.3v, the heat this thing makes is insane! My wife bought me a TRUE Spirit 140 Power with another fan for my birthday coming up, I probably wont get it until the 17th or so. Since my pc is in the living room, she is sick of hearing the h100 she bought me five years ago lol. The pump has been loud since its sixth month of service :-/

Nailed 4600 with 1.275, I started at 1.3v and worked my way down. Using IBT I saw load temps well into the 90s on the "very high" setting.. Then I tried 4.7 @ 1.32 I believe, worked great until loads hit 100c before the system froze lol. So now I'm back down to 4.4 and under volting my ram to keep the trees green.

Also having a hard time using tight timings. Its hard to run cas 6 and 7, things get easier with cas 8. Its fine tho, all I have are 2gb dims, and I haven't had too much luck mixing stix, only my gskills play nice together. They run much tighter on X58, but faster on here than I could get on my Xeon.

Back