• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question: Can you re-use your windows copy from an old build to a new build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bos_dc2

Registered
Hi all,

I've done a few google searches and couldn't come up with definitive answers thus coming here for proper assistance. I apologize in advance if this is a complete rookie question....

Currently I've got an AMD Phenom II 1055T build running Windows 7 on my SSD, I also have a spare HD from my work PC which was an i3 build running Windows 10.

I'm in the midst of completing my new build, which is a Ryzen 5 1600 on an ASUS Strix B350-F mobo. My question is, can i use any of the two hard drives with windows copy in my new build and hope the drivers automatically download and update or is this more complicated than it seems?

If it can be done, what do I need to do prior to installation to make things run smoother?

Thank you OC Community!:confused:

You might get away with it if you do the Automated Phone Activation method. When prompted about how many machines this copy of windows was installed on, you answer "one". Which is the same as if you are replacing hardware that died. You will either get confirmed it's activated or not.

You can get a legit MS Key from Kinguin.com or CDKeys.com for pretty cheap.

However you get Windows activated (either through the phone system, Kinguin or getting a COA from ebay), formatting your drive and doing a completely fresh installation of Windows will give you the best performance. Dont forget to get all the chipset/Motherboard drivers from the manufacturer web page also.

If you take a hard drive with Windows 7 from one computer and put it into another computer, no way will it work. I know nothing about Windows 10, but it's unlikely that would work either and even if it did manage to boot, you have to authenticate it.

Yes, Mr. K makes an excellent point. It's always best to start with a fresh reformat.

There is some chance that if you install the Windows 10 hard drive in the new system after it is built that it will boot into Windows and then install the appropriate chip set drivers for the new motherboard, CPU and video card. The chance is not as good if your new build is centered around components that represent very new technologies that the existing Windows 10 hard drive does not already have chip set drivers for. Neither is it as likely if you are moving the system drive from Intel to AMD. It is worth a try.

The other issue will be activation. Windows 10 activation is based on motherboard ID. So when you move it to a new system with a different motherboard it will deactivate and you would need to call the 1-800 Microsoft number and tell a lie in order to get it activated.

Personally, I would suggest saving yourself a lot of frustration and hassle by just buying a Windows 10 Pro OEM product key from here: https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/
To use a product key you would need to have installation media. You can create this on a thumb drive or DVD from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

- - - Updated - - -

If you take a hard drive with Windows 7 from one computer and put it into another computer, no way will it work. I know nothing about Windows 10, but it's unlikely that would work either and even if it did manage to boot, you have to authenticate it.

Yes, Mr. K makes an excellent point. It's always best to start with a fresh reformat.

Batboy, you are incorrect about this. I have done it many times with Windows 8 and Windows 10. In fact, I have a test bed with Windows 10 on the system drive that I swap out motherboards on all the time. But it doesn't always work and it depends on many factors.

Thanks for the great pointers everyone, I did not expect it to be this affordable (~$40.00 CAD)

I was expecting it to cost $120.00 +++

I am going to start with the fresh build instead of all the hassle.

Thank you very mucH!

Side question:

If I install the SSD that already has the Windows 7 copy onto my new build.

Will I be able to reformat my SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a USB all in one go on the BIOS screen?

Side question:

If I install the SSD that already has the Windows 7 copy onto my new build.

Will I be able to reformat my SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a USB all in one go on the BIOS screen?

Yes, sort of. Not sure what you mean by "bios screen." Do you mean actually while in bios or are you talking about the "post" screen (black and white text that precedes Windows)?

What you want to do is find the "hot key" that will allow you to tell the machine to boot from the Windows 10 flash drive install media. You can also do this in bios by specifying the boot order such that the USB flash drive is the first boot device. But I would recommend doing it the first way with the hotkey so that when rebooting occurs during the installation process it doesn't try to reboot from the flash drive as if you were starting the install all over again. The boot choice hot key is often the F12 key but can be others. The hotkey method only changes the boot order temporarily.

If you can't find the boot order hotkey then attend the installation to the point where it announces it's about to reboot then pull the flash drive. If you miss this and it reboots to the flash drive just restart the computer and immediately pull the flash drive and it will return to the place in the installation process where it left off and will complete.

And you want to make sure you delete all existing old Windows partitions when you get to that point in the installation process.

Last edited:
Hi all, just wanted to give an update. Hopefully I'll have some photos up.

I ended up doing a fresh install with a CD key i purchased off Kinguin.

Everything seems to be working fine. Is it normal for you to require "activation" for your windows copy off Kinguin? I'll get that sorted out later.

thumbnail_IMG_8405.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8406.jpg

Yes it is normal to require activation when you do an installation of Windows 10 on a computer (motherboard) that has not had Windows 10 previously installed, using Kinguin or anybody else. Kinguin just gives the product key which you can install either on the front end of the installation or after it is done by using the "Change product key" option displayed with the windows activation interface. If that doesn't work, call the 1-800 number and get a new product key from Microsoft. Doesn't cost anything, you just have to interact with the robot phone attendant.

Back