• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about overclocking 2600X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VictoryStar

Hey guys. I’m thinking of going with the 2600x over 8600k for better multi-threaded performance for video editing and streaming. I’m a bit worried about single-threaded performance compared to Intel for gaming. I do think Ryzen is worth it considering the minimal differences I’ve seen in gaming benchmarks, but I wanted to clear up some confusion before I make my choice.

1) Is the 4.2ghz boost on all cores? If not, how many?

2) Is there any way control when the 4.2ghz boost occurs? (for example, whenever I’m gaming)

3) Can you manually OC a single core to higher than the rest for better single-core gaming performance?

4) If so, what clock speeds do you think I’ll be able to get the 2600x to with a Noctua nh-l9a AM4 cooler and a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming mobo while maintaining a stable voltage and good temps?

Hi VictoryStar,
1. 4.2 is boosted on 2 cores only
2 and 3 The new Ryzen has some tools that enable overclocking the boost parameters called precision boost overdrive but it doesn't boost the overall speed past maximum boost of 4.2 on the CHVI there is another option that will let you boost the highest bin past the AMD limit but only that board will do it.
4. Most likely an all core speed of 4.2 GHz maybe higher
I have gamed on last gen and current gen Ryzen and honestl it depends more on GFX than a few hundred MHz on the CPU. I gamed on a 1600X at stock with boost to 4.1 on a couple cores without any issue using a 980 and a 1070Ti at 1080p

For strictly gaming highest you'll see is 4.2-4.25 stock or OC'd, if you add streaming into that mix you can achieve a stable 4.15 all core OC with 1.4 V which is the max I've seen on my 2600X and only 50 MHz above what the processor at stock would provide while streaming. And most likely 4.1-4.15 for video editing.

You can force a 4.2 manual all core OC @ 1.45 V, but it isn't stable for multi threaded work loads. Again this is my personal experience with this chip and on a different board (ROG X470-F Gaming)

That being said, I game on my 2600X/GTX 1080 just fine playing games like Rocket Leauge 1440p max settings = 165 FPS, CsGo 1440p = 165 FPS (max settings), COD WWII 1440p = 155 FPS (max settings), if streaming those numbers dip maybe 5-10 FPS and that is streaming at 1080p seamlessly. Those are the only titles I have at the moment, I know there are far more demanding titles, but 5-10 FPS drop while streaming is avg from what I've read. And this is @ stock. So at 1080p gaming you'd be sitting pretty and running max settings on any game depending on your GPU and be able to stream without issue.

Even when talking about the same model CPU, max overclock under any kind of load will vary somewhat from system to system. Subtle differences in the manufacturing processes when CPUs are being produced, varying quality of the silicon itself, different motherboards, Cooling, RAM, etc.

Back