• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about processor choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peperonikiller

Registered
So, I've built AMD boards ever since I started building computers in 2006. I inherited a first gen i7 860 socket 1156 a while back and was quite impressed so I'm going with a new intel build for the first time.. I just got in the ASUS Sabertooth Z87 LGA 1150 board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976)

Now I mainly play a lot of the latest games (BF4, Titanfall, DayZ, etc..) and I stream as well. I've been looking at getting the i5 4670 just because it's cheaper or would it be beneficial to me to just bite the bullet and get the i7 4770. Also as a side note I currently have one MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC and will eventually get a second one for Xfire to remove any video bottlenecking.

tl;dr i5 4670 or spend the money for an i7 4770????

You will see little if any frame rate improvement with the i7 vs. the i5. The difference between the two chips is that the i7 has hyper threading technology and the i5 does not. Apparently, hyper threading gives a significant performance boost in rendering type applications but not in gaming. Save not only the money but the extra heat.

Get the i5. Unless you absolutely know that you need hyperthreading (and for gaming/light video work you do not), you don't need it. You'll see more framerate benefits from the 2nd card.

Back