• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAHawk

Registered
I would like to know if you can use two different size RAM sticks. I have two 16Gb sticks and two 8Gb sticks. My original plan was to have 32Gb (2x16) total but accidentally bought a total of 16Gb (2x8). They are the exact same, brand, speed, everything, except size. If not then I guess i have some brand new RAM to sell.

Thanks

You can but I should recommend not to because most of the times RAM sticks will have different ICs. That will make some stability issues if XMP is high. But if they have same specs.

For example I had done something similar with GSkill TridentZ, Team Delta II RGB and Geil SuperLuce RGB sticks. All are 3000 MHz 16 18 18 38. Mixed them and they work as expected. No issues with XMP, but OC over that point will be harder.

Try with lastest MB BIOS for better compatibility.

Last edited:
Well it’s going to be the new i9-9900k if it ever gets here on a ASRock z390 board.
The sticks are the same

GSkill
F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Timing 16-18-18-38

CAS Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V

GSkill
F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)

Timing 16-18-18-38

CAS Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V
Voltage 1.35V

If you find any problems then switch sticks in slots like try lower capacity in first or higher capacity in first 2 slots. There are sometimes problems that lower capacity sticks are not visible when higher capacity are in use in first slots but I guess it was more related to older chipsets.
Another thing is that motherboards read SPD/XMP from first memory modules so better is to use slower modules in first slots. In this case main profiles are the same but sub-timings will be a bit slower on higher capacity modules. So again, just have to try how it will work the best and switch memory slots in case if it won't work.
Anyway, IMC should handle that without issues and ASRock Z390 motherboards are solid with stable BIOS so I guess it will work. Good luck with your rig.

Thank you

Good to see that the error in my purchase might not go to waste.

Back