• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rackmount high-load quality UPS for servers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I've been putting off getting a good UPS for my servers for a long time. I got a free Compaq R3000 from someone locally, but I don't know if it actually works. The batteries it came with were completely dead, but the UPS did power up. Without working batteries, I don't have a way to test the unit, and those are $250. I'm not sure if I should buy one or two new UPS's or resurrect the old one. If I'm buying a different one, I'm not sure what to look for. Any input/advice?

Compaq R3000 specs:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/rack-datasheet.pdf
3u
2880 VA
2250 Watts

ups_apart.JPG

battery_pack.JPG

Equipment that is running on this UPS:

Dell PowerEdge 2650 (Icinga/Database server) - "Perl"
--CPU: 2x 2.4 GHz Pentium 4
--RAM: 6 gb
--HDD: 4x 76 gb 10k SCSI in RAID 10

Dell PowerEdge 2650 - "Java"
--CPU 2x 2.2 GHz Pentium 4
--RAM: 6 gb
--HDD: 5x 36 gb 10k SCSI in RAID 5

File server - "Ruby"
--CPU: 2x AMD Opteron 6134 Magny-Cours 2.3GHz Socket G34
--MB: ASUS KGPE-D16
--MEM: 64 gb Kingston
--HDD:
------3x 30 gb Seagate Cheetah 10K SAS
------9x 2 tb Hitachi
------7x 1 tb Hitachi
--Raid controller: Intel SRCSASBB8I (Actually a LSI 8708EM2)
--PSU: Corsair HX620
--Case: Norco 4020

IBM x3650 - "Fortran"
--CPU: 2x Xeon 5150
--RAM: 8gb
--HDD: 4x 73gb 10k RPM SAS
--PSU: 2x 850w hot swap

IBM x3650 - "Cobol"
--CPU: 2x Xeon 5150
--RAM: 8gb
--HDD: 4x 73gb 10k RPM SAS
--PSU: 2x 850w hot swap

Custom NAS server - "BlooP"
--CPU: QX9650 @ 3.0GHz
--MB: Asus P5Q Deluxe
--RAM: 8gb G.Skill
--HDD:
------100gb Maxtor SATA
------3x 500gb IBM System X
------8x 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS
--Raid controller: IBM ServeRAID M1015
--PSU: Corsair HX650
--Case: Norco 470

Switch:
--Dell PowerConnect 5224

server_racked.JPG

I just realized this UPS is from around 1999-2000. I'd prefer to go with a newer unit unless these don't go bad and the technology hasn't changed much since then.

Do you have, or have access to, an oscilloscope?
That'd be part1 of testing IMO.
That said, I have absolutely no experience with UPS units. I think I touched one once, but that's it.

I do not have access to one, no. The UPS refuses to turn on when there are no batteries connected.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a UPS that size for the same price as new batteries for that would cost. Unfortunately you cant really get any useful data as to how well the power is managed or if the charging mechanism even works right until you replace the battery...

The tech has improved mainly the upgrade to Lithium Ion batteries which are lighter and hold a charge much much better, but they run substantially more than traditional lead/acid or NiCd cells.

Note. I dont have alot of hands on experience with UPS units but I did commercial electrical work for ~4 years and I installed many different types in various data centers around here.

Thid that is too much load for that UPS to handle solo. If it isnt, you will have a ridiculously short run time on the UPS, and anything under 5mins will typically cause the UPS to alarm.
I know at the office when I started we had ~10 of the standalone 1500 SmartUPS in addition to 2x 2u APC 2200 and 1x 2u APC 1500. We have since converted over to all rackmounts.

If you can, see if you can supplement with the non rackmount versions in the interim. I am running 2x APC SmartUPS 1400/1500 stacked beside my rack at home even with my 3 rackmount UPS.

Currently my rack at home is
2x APC smart UPS 1500 2u
1x Cyberpower 1000 2u
2x APC smart UPS 1400/1500 stacked (these handle switches, KVM, KMM, router, etc.)
handling
Norco 4020 (fully loaded 20x HD103SJ and 1 80gb 2.5, components are IIRC 790i, Q6600, 750 or 850w Corsair)
Norco 470 (15 drives total, cant remember system specs)
PE2950
2x 1u (forgot models)
2u AIC 6 hotswap bay
1u AIC 3 hotswap bay
and one other system I cant remember.
Dell KVM
APC KMM
Dell managed 24pt GB
3com unmanaged 24pt GB
plus VOIP modem, Cable modem, and a Seagate 2tb GoFlex Home

Spreading the load amongst the 5 gave me enough time to get inside, find a flashlight, get into the basement and do a completely clean shutdown of everything when the Derecho came through here a few months ago.

I remember the "ordeal" you had with just getting a rack so I am guessing that UPS are probably just as difficult to source.

I will try to pull the vendor I have bought batteries from for 4 of my UPS, either tonight or this weekend. 250 seems high for the batteries. Also, you realize that you are missing wiring on the UPS? Your last Pic of just the batteries has 4 leads with no cables. Try to do a search for JUST the battery model (individual NOT the unit). Those look to be 12v 9-11ah at a guess.

UPS tech really hasnt changed to be honest. It might run cooler, and quieter but other than that not much will have changed.

Last edited:
I remember the "ordeal" you had with just getting a rack so I am guessing that UPS are probably just as difficult to source.
Thank you for the huge amount of information, that helps a lot. I need to figure out how much load will be on the UPS before I even consider purchasing one. The main issue with getting a rackmounted UPS is the cost. "Cheap" ones seem to be $500+.

Back