• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9000- mistake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barnstormer

SO I bought this radeon 9000 64mb( not pro) card the other day, kind of an impulse, and now I am wondering if it was a good choice or not. It was , of course, a vast improvement over the onboard video I was running on my crappy motherboard, but I was curious if it was the best way to go. I bought it retail at circuit city, paid about $100 (too much, I know), but it was, as I said, an impulse.
I dont want to bother taking it back if is about as good a card as I can get retail for the same money, but if I can do much better I will. If so, what card @ about $100 retail is better.
By retail I mean walk in and buy it off the shelf. Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Walmart, etc...
Thanks!
Brian

hmmm If you get lucky you can pick up a ti4200 for 99 but I highly suggest buying online as it is cheaper but just have to wait a couple of days

ive got the 9000 pro 128mb version and it sucks at stock plus its a overclockers lemon, only get a extra 25mhz out of it. most people dont get more then that out of pros or non pros. if you can take it back i would and try and get a 8500(le). its a bit better at stock and it will oc further. probably in the same price range

Miknow said:
hmmm If you get lucky you can pick up a ti4200 for 99 but I highly suggest buying online as it is cheaper but just have to wait a couple of days

As an 8500 owner, I agree that a 4200 is a better card. Go that route.

FYI, I saw an 8500 64mb for friggin' $39 in the newegg refurbs the other day. It's like the same card as the 9000, but a bit FASTER. You got hoodwinked! Get rid of it and get a 4200 pronto.

cursor said:

As an 8500 owner, I agree that a 4200 is a better card. Go that route.

FYI, I saw an 8500 64mb for friggin' $39 in the newegg refurbs the other day. It's like the same card as the 9000, but a bit FASTER. You got hoodwinked! Get rid of it and get a 4200 pronto.

No, the 9000 is the crippled version of the 8500. They can't really be called the same card. The 8500LE and 9100 are actually the same card.

ANd yes look at BB and Compusa a lot of times theyll have a 4200 for 100$ which would be a significant improvement.

Back