• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAIDXPERT options greyed out, write back cache - SOLUTION

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Internal

I wanted to point out that in Raidxpert you can, despite of MB brand, enable write back.

To achieve this:
Go into "physical drive view" and activate "write cache", in RAIDXPERT this is actually WRITE BACK CACHE, for each physical drive. If it´s left disabled, the drive(s) will use "write through cache" as default.

Once you use the option "write cache" (=WRITE BACK CACHE) you automatically are using READ AHEAD CACHE.

I am not able to tell you why the radio buttons (most often) don´t show their status accordingly.

Also it is important that when creating an array in the raid ROM "bios", you choose the option: write back or write through cache. After creating an array it can´t be changed at the ROM "bios" level.
BUT: Raidxpert allows to override this by the above explained manner.

I posted this, since there are over 10K posts about this specific question in the internet and maybe the one or the other may find this information helpful.

Good luck!

Link for up to date AMD Chipset drivers and RAIDXpert 32+64 bit:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

There are a lot of questions out there, and not all that much good information... However we tend to rank pretty highly when people go looking with these keywords. Really appreciate you sharing! I've spent a decent amount of time and effort trying to dig up info!

Well this doesnt work on my setup. The "physical drive view" settings buttons are by default allready enabled Write Cache Enabled. go into Logical Drive View settings and the write back buttons are still disabled.

It's just because RAIDXpert base on RAID ROM and info in 1st post isn't really true for some boards. If board manufacturer didn't care to add write back cache support to their RAID ROM ( like for example was with ASUS CHV ) then cache write back option isn't available from both RAID ROM and windows software.
If you set cache options in RAID ROM then regardless of software, cache write back will be enabled.

Back