• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rainmeter is pretty awesome.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

So, I've wanted an "active" desktop for a while, but never really thought of finding an overlay program like this. It's called Rainmeter. You can download it here

https://www.rainmeter.net/

I recommend using a youtube tutorial to get you started, but its really simple once you figure it out. Has fully customizable "Widget" type apps that hover over your desktop. There are tons of custom plugins that you can get for free, and its pretty light on the system.

Heres what i have going on at the moment. There are literally tons of different options you can find.
my screen.jpg

You can also go really subtle, or as deep as you want. Search "rainmeter' on google images to see more ideas.

Unless you like your wallpapers instead. On my desktop I use just enigmas network i/o. There is no simple way of getting it to detect multiple hd's either so that little widget is essentially crippled imo. On a tablet it is too obtrusive, so I use a taskbar widget for network i/o instead.

Unless you like your wallpapers instead. On my desktop I use just enigmas network i/o. There is no simple way of getting it to detect multiple hd's either so that little widget is essentially crippled imo. On a tablet it is too obtrusive, so I use a taskbar widget for network i/o instead.

Yeah, some of these widgets get pretty intensive with the programming side.

Last time I used Rainmeter was years ago. It hit system performance enough to justify going back away from it.

Last time I used Rainmeter was years ago. It hit system performance enough to justify going back away from it.

Not anymore. Im idling around 1-2%. "Years ago" being the operative here...

edit: Just tested it, with all tertiary things on (sound processors, browser open, spybot, etc, normal system idle) Im at 7%. With rainmeter off, and everything else open, Im at 4%. Not exactly "demanding".

(number in the middle of circle is cpu usage)

rainmeterON.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to give it another look sometime :)

Honestly, might be dependent on what you're doing with it too. I've seen some pretty crazy setups, but I stick with more simple skins. I just love how adjustable they are, can do many many things, while keeping aesthetics. Granted this is on a 4790k, so i imagine an older/lesser chip might have more difficulties (thinkin AMD here).

Ill actually test it out on my HTPC later on. Has a crappy dual core APU richland chip (forget the number at the moment).

Yeah, my skins weren't exactly simple...
By years ago though I mean when SB was just being released. I was running on an overclocked 1100T at the time.

Yeah, my skins weren't exactly simple...
By years ago though I mean when SB was just being released. I was running on an overclocked 1100T at the time.

I mean, you can see in that image on the first post. I had browser open playing youtube videos (music) with 10 panels open, still only at 5.4% usage. A few of the widgets were "Active" as well.

Wow. Forgot about Rainmeter. Been years since I've used it.

My only issue are my icons. Got so damn many of 'em lol.

Rainmeter is the best. I have been putting off remaking my desktop for ages, but your provided a much needed jolt of inspiration

Back