• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Ok guys here is what's happening,

MY parents computer today decided to error out with windows. I kept getting different programs on start-up would pop and error message about section of the ram were in-accessible or un-writable. I just tried to load a linux live cd (both Overclockix 3.9 and Mepis 3.3), both gave me kernel panics after they attempted to create a ram drive.

I will not be able to replace the ram until later tonight, but I wanted to know what your opinion was. Is it most likely the ram? Or is something else dieing?

Specs:
530J
Intel 915 chipset mobo (Intel brand)
Intergraded Graphics
2x512mb Kbyte ram (DDR400)
200 gig SATA Maxtor HDD

No Overclocking has been done.

It was the ram. Replaced it with 2x256mb sticks and everything is dandy. Guess I'll be RMAing that ram.

I don't think it was the ram.

They are still having problems. When they turn it on 25% of the time windows freezes on the start-up screen. They say sometimes on loading different application (word, MSN Explorer, WMP10, etc.) the computer becomes slugish.

Hdd dieing?
Processor dieing?

Tonight I'll run p95 all night.

Could actually still be the memory. When you install memory and the computer appears to be sluggish or "slower" than before, that's a sign of bad memory. Come across this very same issue at work all of the time.

mage_x said:
your bad ram could have corrupted the OS

How likely? I don't mean to be rude but I'm just wondering, cause a re-install of XP isn't the most fun thing to do.

Back