• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Error correction ram (ECC) is usually reserved for servers. Typical desktop PCs and MBs uses non-ECC ram as standard. So, unless you specify ECC, the typical ram you buy for PC is non-ECC. The two are not interchangeable.

When I tried a PC3200 (400MHz) memory module in a GX260, the boot screen said 400 MHz. BTW, every mobo I've tried, regardless of brand or chipset, that was rated for 266 MHz max (PC2100) worked fine with PC3200 memory, except sometimes when I chose the BIOS's safe default settings.

The GX260's chipset (845G) does not support ECC, so there's no benefit to buying ECC modules for it, but there's also no harm, except to your wallet, because the ECC information will just be ignored.

How are the capacitors on your GX260s? Mine each needed 2 new ones between the AGP slot and DIMM slots and 2 more at the other ends of the DIMM slots. Some other GX260s also need over a dozen new caps between the rear and CPU.

How are the capacitors on your GX260s? Mine each needed 2 new ones between the AGP slot and DIMM slots and 2 more at the other ends of the DIMM slots. Some other GX260s also need over a dozen new caps between the rear and CPU.

There are cap-related recalls on the GX270 and GX280 Optiplex desktops, as well as know issues on the GX260 machines. While the warranty is well past expired on these units, there may be options available to you with Dell's tech support for recalled items.

OK. I scrapped the old optiplex gx280s. Got a good deal on 4 Optiplex GX620. Dual Core P4 3.0ghz. I looked at the dell website and it says this model can use 533-MHz and 667-MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I have 1x1gb 800mhz stick in it right now but in bios it says its only running at 533mhz. Why is this?

The stick of RAM may function at 800Mhz, but have a lower speed based on it's SPD. On OEM systems, such as that Optiplex, the RAM speed is automatically set based on the SPD and cannot be adjusted.

The stick of RAM may function at 800Mhz, but have a lower speed based on it's SPD. On OEM systems, such as that Optiplex, the RAM speed is automatically set based on the SPD and cannot be adjusted.

OK. So there is no need to buy 800mhz ram if the 533 is cheaper then? Since thats what it is gonna run at anyways.

Since the max that model will support is 667Mhz anyway, I'd go with 533Mhz. There is very little difference between the two on performance.

Ok cool. Just need to buy 16x1gb sticks now. if you know any cheap places i would appreciate :)

Hi again, sorry for the delay. :(

Usually Newegg has discounts for purchasing in bulk. Also, Pricewatch is a site that has been around for a long time, which has pricing comparisons on computer hardware.

-JT

Back