• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EGAJohn

Registered
I built my girlfriend a low - mid range gaming pc and the ram seems to be the bottleneck because the original plan for the 6gb DDR3 got ruined because of a incompatible ram module so i just have a single Samsung DDR3 1333 2GBx1 and i was looking to change to Wintec Ampx DDR2 800 1GBx2 module. Is there going to be any noticable performance difference between the two?

Used to make a big difference running dual channel, not sure how much of a difference it makes with DDR2/DDR3

Just to clarify, what I mean is the dual channel DDR2 should be better than single channel DDR3

Unless you can't afford the extra $5-10, go for Dual Channel.

Ok because i was supposed to be running the Samsung 2gb and a Kingston 4gb DDR3 but the kingston ended up not working. Ill stick with the Wintec for now then since its dual channel. Will i notice a FPS difference?

Depends on the game, and how it utilizes system resources really.

Might not notice an increase in FPS, but in high render environments the drop in FPS would be reduced or even negated altogether.

But it all depends on the game.

Ok because her favorite game at the moment is Gotham City Imposters. Now will there be a difference when running that? When a match starts it lags slightly because its trying to render the map. Will there be a lag while rendering with the dual channel?

I built my girlfriend a low - mid range gaming pc and the ram seems to be the bottleneck because the original plan for the 6gb DDR3 got ruined because of a incompatible ram module so i just have a single Samsung DDR3 1333 2GBx1 and i was looking to change to Wintec Ampx DDR2 800 1GBx2 module. Is there going to be any noticable performance difference between the two?

Well the first red flag I see is that your talking about using DDR2 instead of DDR3 and the ram slots are different if your motherboard supports DDR3 then that's what you have to use because DDR2 will not physically fit into the board.

Well the first red flag I see is that your talking about using DDR2 instead of DDR3 and the ram slots are different if your motherboard supports DDR3 then that's what you have to use because DDR2 will not physically fit into the board.
Check my mobo i can use ddr2/3.

This is from the Gigabyte specification page.

(Note: Mixed mode, populating DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules simulta- neously is not supported. Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)

Did you try the DDR3 stick alone?

Ok because her favorite game at the moment is Gotham City Imposters. Now will there be a difference when running that? When a match starts it lags slightly because its trying to render the map. Will there be a lag while rendering with the dual channel?

Should be less

This is from the Gigabyte specification page.

(Note: Mixed mode, populating DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules simulta- neously is not supported. Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)

Did you try the DDR3 stick alone?

Um OP hasn't asked about issues... only if dual channel DDR2 is better than single channel DDR3

The seller for the ddr2 never replied so i just bought a 4gb ddr3 and im running flex memory mode with a 4gb and a 2gb.

Back