• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RBX's have a fan mount!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a temp probe from my digi doc taped to the bottom of my HDD. I used clear packing tape. I wouldn't use duct tape as it leaves goo after it is removed.

I also taped a half of a foam packing peanut to insulate it from the air. I figured a fan blowing right on it would through of the results.

im still lost as why you need to have a fan for your ram? they dont get that hot, i mean they done even need the heatspreders thats on them.

My RAM gets boiling hot to the touch with 3V going through it - active cooling is absolutely neccessary with Micron chips. I've got a few 60mm fans on the way, and I'm going to attach them directly above the RAM sticks.

This is a great idea, especially to boost your stock Northbridge cooling a little bit. I've got a powerful 120mm fan mounted in my case side panel, which is basically achieving the same effect.

posted by greenman100

and what is the point?

you're not coolng the CPU much better, except though secondary heatpaths

and the MOSfets are fine upto 80c

Heatsinking my MOSFETs, and adding a fan that blows over them (side panel fan) actually made a really big difference in helping diminish Vcore voltage fluctuation with my NF7-S. Such a fan also gets air to your Northbridge cooler, which is a big deal in most systems. As well, "spillover" airflow flows over the entire motherboard area around your processor socket, which helps, however little, to cool off any hot little ICs.

If you have an appropriate fan lying around, why not make good use of it?

felinusz said:
Heatsinking my MOSFETs, and adding a fan that blows over them (side panel fan) actually made a really big difference in helping diminish Vcore voltage fluctuation with my NF7-S. Such a fan also gets air to your Northbridge cooler, which is a big deal in most systems. As well, "spillover" airflow flows over the entire motherboard area around your processor socket, which helps, however little, to cool off any hot little ICs.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3094967&postcount=8

and he said something else about mosfet cooling and how bogus it was, something about measuring the backside of the CPU pins with a DMM ebfore and after mosfet cooling

felinusz said:
If you have an appropriate fan lying around, why not make good use of it?

noise

I'm not saying it wouldn't help

but you really think it'd outweigh the noise and potiental for messing up your WB mount?

greenman100 said:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3094967&postcount=8

and he said something else about mosfet cooling and how bogus it was, something about measuring the backside of the CPU pins with a DMM ebfore and after mosfet cooling

noise

I'm not saying it wouldn't help

but you really think it'd outweigh the noise and potiental for messing up your WB mount?

Noise: Use a Vmod/fan bus. A very small amount of air can still make a BIG difference cooling these small sinks. As I mentioned in my previous post, my fan is essentially silent.

Bogus: Use a multimeter until you're blue in the face, my system is stable now at 200x12, whereas without the fan I could only get 200x11.5. Of course, your mileage may vary

Damage: Common sense and a bit of creativity will prevent this...Even just using longer bolts + extra wahsers/nuts will suffice to make a secure mount.

Back