• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-keying a mechanical keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

As part of the last benching party in Philly, I got a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum keyboard.

I finally plugged it in and started using it. It is the one with the Cherry MX RGB Brown switches. I really like the keyboard, but I'm missing the sound and feel of the MX Blue switches in my last keyboard.

I recently fixed a Cooler Master keyboard that had a bad switch (turned out it wasn't the switch, but a solder pad that had pulled off the trace and was only mechanically touching). The repair went wonderfully and given my experience re-capping motherboards and repairing not LED LCD monitors, I feel comfortable at the idea of re-keying this keyboard.

Personally, I'd like to put in MX Green switches, but it doesn't appear that the greens have an RGB LED option on them. I've seen the review site from the previous "which are the best MX switches" thread that says the blues come in a RGB LED option. Given that this board has the lighting options, I'd rather not lose them.

So, my question is, does anybody have a place that has the LED blue switches for sale? Also, if there is a better LED switch out there that is closer to the greens in feel, I'm looking for recommendations. I'm not fixated on them having to be Cherry switches. If there is a better choice, I'm happy to hear it. Even if they don't last as long, if a switch dies, I won't have a problem replacing it. Just as long as it has good smooth action with a strong audible click and a stiff spring. I'm someone who learned how to type on an IBM Selectric and I love their keyboard action.

Thanks in advance!

As part of the last benching party in Philly, I got a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum keyboard.

I finally plugged it in and started using it. It is the one with the Cherry MX RGB Brown switches. I really like the keyboard, but I'm missing the sound and feel of the MX Blue switches in my last keyboard.

I recently fixed a Cooler Master keyboard that had a bad switch (turned out it wasn't the switch, but a solder pad that had pulled off the trace and was only mechanically touching). The repair went wonderfully and given my experience re-capping motherboards and repairing not LED LCD monitors, I feel comfortable at the idea of re-keying this keyboard.

Personally, I'd like to put in MX Green switches, but it doesn't appear that the greens have an RGB LED option on them. I've seen the review site from the previous "which are the best MX switches" thread that says the blues come in a RGB LED option. Given that this board has the lighting options, I'd rather not lose them.

So, my question is, does anybody have a place that has the LED blue switches for sale? Also, if there is a better LED switch out there that is closer to the greens in feel, I'm looking for recommendations. I'm not fixated on them having to be Cherry switches. If there is a better choice, I'm happy to hear it. Even if they don't last as long, if a switch dies, I won't have a problem replacing it. Just as long as it has good smooth action with a strong audible click and a stiff spring. I'm someone who learned how to type on an IBM Selectric and I love their keyboard action.

Thanks in advance!

Going to follow this thread. But to me the cost and time would be overkill. Still I am sure I do many things that others feel the same way about.

Back