• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reading PDFs on the go

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krogen

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Kindle 2 in order to read books and technical PDFs. I liked it, but the only reasonable way to read PDFs was to rotate the screen and scroll the document, which was very annoying. The font was way too small to read it vertically. I ended up returning the Kindle for that reason.

Well, there's a Kindle DX, which has a 10'' screen, which would solve my problem, but at $400 it's just too expensive for my liking. For $300 I could definitely justify the price.

So I started looking at different alternatives. There aren't too many big eBook readers on the market, except for the Kindle DX. There's the Sony reader which is 7'', but it might be a tad too small to be able to read things. At $250, the price is great, but again, I'm afraid it wouldn't cut it.

Tablet netbooks start at $300, which is great, but I would definitely need one with a very long battery life, upwards of 10 hours. I would also have to modify it, so that I don't have to wait a minute to boot, not what I'm looking for. Perhaps a minimal Linux installation would cut it. Or maybe an embedded OS, something like Splashtop that is found on recent laptops and high end motherboards.

And then there's the Apple iPad. I think it's a very cool device, but I don't want to be stuck on the Apple's proprietary platform. And at $500, it's too expensive. And I'm not too big into Apple products.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

With a 10 hr bat life you better pack a few. Batteries are a conundrum. Unless you have solar power forget it. 10 hours is a whole day & enough to warrant solar.

10 hours is no problem on an e-ink screen.

Even though the boox has the same (or close to it) screen size it is able to zoom in/out on the PDF and it seems pretty capable when it comes to re-flowing the text.

Back