• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RealTemp GT not working on RampIVBE w/4930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I have my 4930 under phase on a Rampage IV BE. RealTemp and every other temperature program reports -5c in Windows 7 and it never ever changes with load, without load, on Speed Step....ever. The evaporator is at -50c and I think the BIOS even shows around -20c. Any insights? There have to be users going sub zero with correct temps in Windows.

I dont know of any... (that of course doesn't mean they do not exist, LOL!).

At some point, on every board I have, every sensor stopped reading at some point.

Seems like you need a K type into the base of that thing or something. That may be the closest you will get to accuracy.

Intel's core temperature sensors are designed and calibrated to trigger thermal throttling at about 100C and thermal shutdown at about 125C. They were never intended to be used for accurate sub zero temperature reporting. If you go cold enough, they will all get stuck and become useless for temperature monitoring.

There is no soft which is showing you correct temp as most of them are reading values from BIOS or sensors from CPU ( what is usually the same ). Most boards won't show you temps below -20*C. Some will show you -255*C when you are under 0.
That's why you use thermometers to check temps but you will never have really accurate core temps.

Thanks. I have an evaporator temp from a K type probe wire. Can I assume that the temp of the evaporator when the system isn't running - the temp when it is running as the CPU usage temp? Like -50c to -45c= CPU 5c.

Earthdog; I'm not sure. I see the thermo coupler coming out of the control board and disappearing under the hose. I'll see if it is touching the head anywhere.

AJ: That is used to install your own K type thermo coupler to run a wire to what you want to measure the temperature. There's no real way to measure CPU temps with it. It was made mostly for a cheap alternative to measure temps for LN2 pots.

I measured the temps around the head itself, installed and running, and it's about 2 degrees F cooler than ambient. The same with the RAM. My problem is the back. I didn't use thick enough neoprene and the back plate is hitting 40 f. It's causing condensation on the plate. After about an hour, it wasn't dripping, but I could make a smiley face on it.

Last edited:
Yeah, for 24/7 you have to be REALLY particular about your placement/application. Since you wnat to run this 24/7 you should look into some conformal coating.

I won't do 24/7 but I need to add some frost king layer or the huge foam rubber pad that came with the backplate. The problem is using that the screws are too short. They are M4 x 80 mm. That's the longest M4 screws I can find anywhere.

I ran 10 runs of LINX at stock settings and the evaporator temperature rose from -49 to about -42. That seems about right to me.

Back