• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reboots in game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danwatto

Hi All,

I've been having reboots while playing DCS black shark. It's a hardcore flight sim so it gets pretty intense on the CPU and GPU.

The reboot is usually after a graphically intense situation.

I have a Tagan platinum 1000W PSU.

However it only has 18A on each rail.

Now my system has:
Nvidia GTX 295 (this is what I suspect is drawing too much)
Core i7
10 USB devices
4 hard drives
Asus A6T motherboard

Nvidia doesn't specify how many amps are needed on the spec page. Do you think it 18A on the rail is too low for the 295 during full power draw?

If so, I will get an SLI certified one as I'm planning on another gtx 295 one day.

The only two certified ones available in Australia are the:
* Antec Quattro 1200 (38A rails)
* Silverstone Decathlon 1200 (single 90A rail)

I noticed neither was on your recommended list.
I am planning some slight overclocking in the future.

Are these two ok? Is the single 90A rail better than the 38A rails?

Cheers

Dan

18A per rail is far too weak from reports I'm finding - seeing mentions of around 25amp peak draw for that card. I'm not the most familiar with the hardware tho, so someone else will likely come along with better details.

:welcome:

With the way power distribution is set up in modern PSU's, the single rail is much better. You don't have to worry about balancing the "rails" (they aren't separate rails anymore, just separate circuits). I would think a Corsair 750TX should be more than enough for your card. Even a 650TX should do the trick. Don't let the SLI certified mumbo jumbo fool you. Most of the absolute best PSU's aren't even on those lists. If your only choices are the ones you listed, I would go for the Silverstone because of the single 12 volt rail. That may also be the same one that OW just reviewed, and it sounds like it is a 1000 watt unit, but is capable of 1200 one way or another. I need to take some time to read the review one of these days. I hope this helps.:cool:

With the way power distribution is set up in modern PSU's, the single rail is much better. You don't have to worry about balancing the "rails" (they aren't separate rails anymore, just separate circuits). I would think a Corsair 750TX should be more than enough for your card. Even a 650TX should do the trick. Don't let the SLI certified mumbo jumbo fool you. Most of the absolute best PSU's aren't even on those lists. If your only choices are the ones you listed, I would go for the Silverstone because of the single 12 volt rail. That may also be the same one that OW just reviewed, and it sounds like it is a 1000 watt unit, but is capable of 1200 one way or another. I need to take some time to read the review one of these days. I hope this helps.:cool:

A TX750W or TX650W wouldn't be enough for a pair of GTX 295s in SLI though, OP mentioned upgrading to that sooner or later.

A TX750W or TX650W wouldn't be enough for a pair of GTX 295s in SLI though, OP mentioned upgrading to that sooner or later.

A very good point that I overlooked. The OP also needs to keep in mind that not all mobos will happily take 4 GPU's since the GTX 295's are basically 2 GTX275's in one PCI-E slot. In the case that his board can handle both 295's, I would very highly recommend the Corsair 1000HX. I think the 850TX might do it, but I would be fairly nervous about it.

A very good point that I overlooked. The OP also needs to keep in mind that not all mobos will happily take 4 GPU's since the GTX 295's are basically 2 GTX275's in one PCI-E slot. In the case that his board can handle both 295's, I would very highly recommend the Corsair 1000HX. I think the 850TX might do it, but I would be fairly nervous about it.

HX1000W and TX850W ;)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I only came across those two because of the nvidia sli certified site.

I've looked up the reviews on the HX1000W and it does indeed look like an awesome PSU.

I'll get that one I think. One question though, it says 40A per each 12v rail.

So if I get two GTX295s can I put each on a separate rail? Or do they need to share 40A?

Not too sure about this amps/rails stuff :shrug:

Thanks!

it goes something like this rail 1 = peripherals(+mobo's 20 pin) rail 2 is the cpu extra 4 and 8 pins
edit:this is only referring to the 12v rails since modern psu's rely on it for cpu and gpu as well as drives and fans.

rail 3 and 4 is anyone's guess or pcie connectors. you might have to swap them around to check which one would be enough.

I think the 12v2 cpu extra rail is mentioned in the atx specification thing.

edit: gtx295, some people report 25 amps (current/amperage) draw from this card @ 12volts (voltage) at full load
together thats 25a x 12v = 300w(watts) ==> i x v = w

rails are just an independent circuit that supplies current at a certain voltage, in this case you mentioned 40 amps of current on your 12v rail. Since you have two gtx 295s you do not want to max out your 12v rail at 40 amps when your 2 cards can draw total of 25+25amps. you need them on separate rails but that depends on your psu model

(some models don't truly limit the current to the maximum that independent 12v rails are rated for so you might get away with it but not according to spec). most independent 12v rail models have the 12v rails virtually split from one large 12v source supplying the real total.

Last edited:
Back