• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccommendations for Linux Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
Here's the deal:

I'd like to have a laptop whose hardware is known to be 99.9% compatible with current kernels, capable of running Gnome (although sometimes it will not be used), that is lightweight, small, and has a decent to long battery life. It's got to have a PCMCIA slot, and built-in-wireless is actually optional since I intend to use a PCMCIA card as wireless anyway for most of the time.

DVD-R is nice. So is built-in ethernet.

Want to use it for--
1) Wardriving! :cool: and other network security stuff, I intend to learn as much about security as possible.
2) Working with Eclipse/Java for my classes
3) The usual 'lappie stuff'.

I'd prefer to not spend a boatload of cash, and for our purposes let's cap it at $1400 unless any of you know about something that is Truly Awesome and is marginally more. I would also prefer to NOT PAY FOR WINDOWS THAT I MOST LIKELY WILL NOT USE if that's manageable.

Discuss.

Well first off, I don't have anything hardware wise to add. Except I think Pentium M's are freeking awesome, they would be a good idea to use.

Next, software wise, depending on which Distro you pick...if they have a LiveCD...USE IT to do the install. That way you'd have a good chance of being able to use the OS while it's installing onto the CD...while being online and getting help if needed.

BTW, got a budget?

Additionally, check out the Brand sticky in Laptop section, on reliable/popular/good brands.

Never, ever have had an issue (nor heard of any issues) with running Linux on IBM Thinkpads (pre-Lenovo). I have a G40, it's a desktop replacement, you may want to look into the T series... T40, T42 or so.

All of the hardware is discovered and available immediately, including internal wireless. KDE has support for the Thinkpad buttons right off, or there's a project called TPB that'll get them working under your choice of window manager. http://www.nongnu.org/tpb/

Edit: You may want to look into the security auditor collection, it's a knoppix distro that contains a few dozen tools. Otherwise it takes you an hour or so to get them all installed and configured individually into a distro of your choice.

I run an Acer Aspire 1522 WLMI with AMD64, 3000+, WiFi, with kubuntu64 and consider this to be a really good combination, but its worth looking at http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to see what experiences other people are having with laptops you are considering.

I would also check ndiswrappers homepage to check that others have had reasonable success in getting the wireless to work

Ohh and if your interested the Acer Aspire 1522 WLMI specs are as follows :-

AMD AthlonTM 64 3000+
15.4″ WXGA Widescreen Display
512MB DDR RAM (2×256)
60GB hard drive
DVD-RW
64MB NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700
Lithium-ion battery with up to 3 hours battery life

it also has two pcmcia slots four USB, firewire, ethernet.... its a good product which im currently running Kubuntu Dapper on without any issues, its a laptop thats well worth looking at

Back