• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended cooling for beginner in XOC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andrew279cz

First post here :D
Trying to step up my game from large Air Coolers to something more “exotic” (cooling mainly cpu, maybe gpu in near future).

Not sure if I should go with custom loop (with ice) or go straight for subzero with a LN2 pot and DIce (possible LN2 in further future).

Budget is a concern, would like to stay below 500€ (EU-Czech Republic), so I have some cash on hand for anything I might fry.

Most recent “achievement” in Firestrike: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21421760

My current OC setup: R4F with 3930k at [email protected], various gpus.(Vegas, 1080ti, Rx 580, 480....)
https://imgup.cz/image/LsQ1

If you are unsure and just wish to give it a try, I would stay away from Dice and LN2. These 2 require time (have to go get/have it delivered) and setup/break down. I did not break down my MB's after many hours of Dice benching. I lost many to this and was instructed 2 yrs ago to always break them down (Thank You jpmboy). I have not lost another since.
I would recommend that you go with a Custom Water setup. You have WaterCool & EKWB right there in the EU, so shipping should be cheaper:)
Start with a D5 pump(PWM) as this will grow with your cooling setup.
CPU Block - Either EK's - Velocity or WaterCool's - HeatKiller.
120mmx360mmx45/60mm Radiator - This will give the best all around usage. You can get ones with more FPI or Thicker for better cooling.
Fans ??? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-black-bb-500-2200rpm.
Start with this and then drop it into a bucket of ICE when you wish to go crazy. <- This will let you know if you wish to go further and the steps needed.
You can not just drop a Dice/LN2 pot on the CPU and instantly have it work :(

I would suggest that extreme overclocking is a risky task and one would have to accept that some hardware will die. I say dice/ln2 is the way to go. A pot can be had for reasonable. In past times I have given away 2 of the Koolance pots.
If one was willing to spend a fair bit of monies, a single stage is a great way to have some fun at any moments notice

When I was at this stage I decided on DICE. It uses the same pot as LN2 so there's no money lost if you choose to advance to the next level. Used pots are cheaper than getting into a full custom loop and dry ice is considerably cheaper than LN2 here. No need for a dewer either, just a cheap Styrofoam cooler.

I'm opening this back up as I also have some questions :) I'm looking to get the Hailea HC-500A from PPCS but I'm unsure of some critical information. I do not wish to purchase it and then find out that I still needed more _____ to make it work.
I currently have 4 D5 pumps (made by diff makers). Do I use 1 or 2 pumps??
Does the HC-500A come with it's own Res?? If not how big do I need to get??
How loud is the HC-500A?? I currently run multiple Delta's :)
Do I need any special tubing or coolant??
What is the lowest setting (__c) that you can go without having to mod it??
Or anything else that might help :thup:

You need nothing. 1 pump is fine. Lowest setting without mod is 4c. Run window juice for coolant. Find the most universal waterblock you can find.

Back