• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended thermal compounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
arctic silver 3.
Artic silver 3 is the fake stuff. Prob just a typo though.

If you want to be different then nanotherm is good stuff too.

Last edited:
Your going to get pretty much what they said from just about everyone. Accept no substitute:)

Agreed, AS3.
Is anyone else here a packrat and have a bunch of packets of the white silicon junk and cant figure out what to do with them?

Shin Etsu is also supposed to be rather good.. never tried it though since I use, yes you guessed it, AS3

As suggested above, AS3, or the new Arctic Silver Ceramique.

Ok, the real answer is that there isn't any one thermal grease that costs so much that you would just never buy it.

There also really isn't any one thermal grease that performs so poorly that you just shouldn't buy it.

In thermal grease, the application is much more important than the brand. A poor application of AS3 will perform much more poorly than a great application of stock white gunk. A great application of AS3 will perform a tiny bit better than white gunk.

That said, for peace of mind, get the AS3 if it's convenient. However, if you're sitting next to a tube / packet of white gunk or whatever came with your HSF, use it, and have peace of mind. In the end, the temp differences are likely to be less than 1 degree C.

AS3 over ceramique because it's easier to apply, at least in my experiences, and I think they spelled Shin-Etsu wrong, they put a "N" in where they should have put a "T".

InThrees said:
Ok, the real answer is that there isn't any one thermal grease that costs so much that you would just never buy it.

There also really isn't any one thermal grease that performs so poorly that you just shouldn't buy it.

In thermal grease, the application is much more important than the brand. A poor application of AS3 will perform much more poorly than a great application of stock white gunk. A great application of AS3 will perform a tiny bit better than white gunk.

That said, for peace of mind, get the AS3 if it's convenient. However, if you're sitting next to a tube / packet of white gunk or whatever came with your HSF, use it, and have peace of mind. In the end, the temp differences are likely to be less than 1 degree C.

That's pretty darn accurate. Quality white stuff works very close to as well. I've compared the two and it is only a degree (at most) that seperates them.

Back