• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

red lines on my monitor...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

Hey guys - this is a weird problam thats been driving me nuts lately. In random places, outlining many images, I have red lines that seem "squiggily" on my monitor. they come and go, but mostly they are annoying. I tried unplugging the monitor - actually for 10 days (thanksgiving break), and that did nothing. I updated my video drivers (GeForce 6600GT). My monitor is a Dell 2005FPW that i got in the middle of august (around Aug 12 or so).

Any ideas what they are and how to get rid of them?

Since it is a lcd it seems like you must be getting some signal corruption somewhere, perhaps the logic board on the LCD is going bad. I say send the bloody thing back, they have 3 year warranties, right? Is it properly ventilated? I suppose it could be a problem with the video card as well, you might want to try a different one temporarily or at least scale back the clock speed, though if it is a video card problem it is likely in the RAMDAC which runs independent of the gpu clock. You can change the pixel clock by lowering the resolution, but it aint going to look pretty. The best way to test the card if you don't have another one to stick in is to swap monitors with a dorm mate or something and see if it does it on his system as well. The cable could be bad as well but that seems rather unlikely as more than one colour would be corrupting. It's possible there are other colours, as blue can be quite difficult to notice (in fact, lots of codecs use macroblocks for blue compression and you can't even tell!), though green would be fairly obvious.

Back