• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redirect output of one program to different audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I was wondering if its possible under windows 7 to redirect the output of a particular application to an alternate audio output. The reason for htis is I want to be able to send video/audio VIA HDMI to my TV while using my speakers for the normal system audio. Anyone know if this is possible?

I'm curious about this too. I haven't figured out how to, but I haven't tried real hard either.

Yes. I use to do it awhile back, but haven't had the need (if I recall correctly) let me play around with it again and see what I can come up with.

Edit: come to think of it I believe it was application controlled to a degree. I could set WoW to run through my headset while I had music coming from my speakers, but WoW had the option to select an output.

Edit2: did some more research, basically exactly what I just said: its controlled at an application level. While windows 7 has the ability in theory.... It's still controlled by the individual application.

Edit3: you could however use both an onboard sound card as one output and a separate sound card as an additional output an set the defaults within each individual driver (according to 1 thread in maximumpc). For instance Realtek onboard plus nvidia hd audio. But to me that sounds like you'd still need the option within an individual app to be able to choose one of the 2, this being redundant IMO.

Also: there is a nice little program called Virtual Audio Cable that may be able to do exactly what you want... Simulating different outputs. I used to use it to drown out mumble in my streams.

Last edited:
Ok well it looks like VLC has the ability to designate which output your using, though Im still in the testing phase on this. The other one Im trying to get redirected is silverlight(netflix). Ill keep poking around and see what I can come up with.

Where do you want silver light to show up? And where do you want vlc?

I'm guessing you want them both out of your hdmi, in which case you'll have to set hdmi as windows default. But that's going to give you system sounds there too. Silver light shouldn't have a sound output setting is the problem, so it's going to go wherever the default is. You could send vlc through hdmi and silver light somewhere else and keep system sounds off your tv but to her silver light on the tv it's going to include the system sounds. Again... Look into virtual audio cable. It MAY be able to mute out system sounds for you

So the deal is that Im looking to eliminate the need to stream media to the 52" in the loft which is literally only about 8ft from my PC. Currently its hooked up to a modded xbox, which gives me media streaming but not netflix. My son has discovered a few new shows off of netflix which he likes but the only player around here that actually get netflix is my PS3 which is connected to the TV in my bedroom. Just trying to kill two birds with one stone and replace the xbox with an HDMI cable..... I suppose I dont have to have system sounds, or audio from my games during the day, but some titles its quite difficult to keep track of things without the audio queues.

ok so the only thing that he can watch netflix on at teh time is the TV in the bedroom, because its hooked to the PS3. You want to eliminate that by streaming from your PC to the 52"... but in order to use the PC for gaming while hes watching TV you need an audio solution.

I say he deals with the system sounds, you set your HDMI to default so silverlight and your system sounds go there, then you set your games to the speakers at your PC. I guess you could probably mute system sounds though too without muting streaming... couldnt you?

Back