• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refrigeration compatibility with seals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XeonStrikeForce

I've been doing this to find the best seals for my project but then figured it might be usefully for others as well so here she goes:

R - 290,
HydroCarbon: PolyAmide (PA) Nylon; Nitrile Rubber; ChloroFluoroCarbons (FKM) (Viton-tm).

R - 600-a,
HydroCarbon: PolyAmide (PA) Nylon; Nitrile Rubber; ChloroPrene (CR); ChloroFluoroCarbons (FKM) (Viton-tm).

R - 152-a
PolyAmide (PA) Nylon; ChloroPrene (CR); EthylenePropylene (EPDM)

R - 022--
PolyAmide (PA) Nylon; EthylenePropylene (EPDM)

All thees synthetics are the supposed Ideal materials that will not overly swell or be permeable to the refrigerant. Interesting to note thus far all most every one is compatible with PolyAmide Nylon as a seal & the Hydrocarbons with Nitrile rubber.

Please add to this list.

More for Valve seals and gaskets, flaring 99% of the time it is metal to metal with a bit of oil. No one on Xs apreciate my attempt to make a good guid for flaring either <_< but yet saying it's overtly hard.

XeonStrikeForce said:
More for Valve seals and gaskets, flaring 99% of the time it is metal to metal with a bit of oil. No one on Xs apreciate my attempt to make a good guid for flaring either <_< but yet saying it's overtly hard.

hmmm could you elaberate a little.. your talking about gas metering valves, hot gas bypass valves and the like?

Ive used flaring in plumbing, my old house had soft copper plumbing :)

and they say flaring is bad (because its not good enough) and then in the same hand they say its harder then brazing :confused: WHAA! :confused:

lol it's beter then brazing as it is flexible and dynamicly repairible, and its easier long as you learn it.

Look at semihermetic systems, you need a gasket to seal the valve manifold to the compressor. Or for sealing flang connections.

XeonStrikeForce said:
Look at semihermetic systems, you need a gasket to seal the valve manifold to the compressor. Or for sealing flang connections.

Well.. send me a semihermetic compressor to play with and I'll get right on that :D

Ok.. I'll defianately take your word for it..

and the flang connections :confused: (man your killing me here :( )

Have you tried the gasket material that Copeland uses in its semis? And flaring is a good method for connecting items. Hell Swagelock even makes "high compression" stainless steel fitting that can stand up to 1600# main steam pressure and "inverted flares" can withstand large pressures also. JMO

Back