• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Registry Cleaner for Win XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblaven

Hey guys,

It's only been 3 years since my last post... :chair: ...but I do know where to come to get the best help. :p

I'm working at a graphics design company (screen printing t-shirts, banners, etc.). The owner is using XP home edition and is having issues. He is good at graphics, but not very savvy with the tech side of computers (as far as security, etc.).

I've scanned the forum, the sticky, but don't seem to find a recommended free registry cleaner.

Already scanned with SpyBot, Avast!, and Free Windows Registry Repair, but still having issues. The Free Windows Registry Repair program found ~4000+ errors, but when I tell it to repair, it just locks up. I've tried it twice, but no luck.

Can you guys recommend an alternative (preferably free) registry cleaner?

Thanks,

Joe

My recommendation is to not use one. If you were to scan your registry w/ 10 so-called registry cleaners, you'd end up w/ 10 different results for keys supposedly "safe" to delete.

The best registry cleaner is setting up a new install of windows. Messing with the registry entries either manually or with the help of those cleaners involves a pretty high chance of messing up your system.

Thanks guys, I know messin' with the registry is dangerous, but if these programs are not reliable, then a reformat will be the best option.

Thanks again,

Joe

ccleaner works great, I've used it piles of time without a problem, just remember to save your registry when it asks you.

XP can rot over time, but I have machines running for 5 years that have never had a problem, so it depends on what you are doing and if you do some maintenance like running chkdsk/r every so often, also sfc /scannow, ccleaner, and keep up with regular updates - as well as backing up your drives on a regular basis.

Yep Ccleaner is your best shot with XP as it also does XP64 Bit, been using this for 4 years or so no problems yet! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Just check out the details.

Another thing if by chance any Greens are looking in on this thread! ;)

Can you kindly give jblaven his 10 year Decennial Badge please!!! :shrug:

The additional and invalid entries of Windows registry files make your system speed very slow and it cause situations like PC crashes, Blue screen of deaths, PC freezing, 500 internal server errors etc. If you are suffering from such issues, then don’t get worried because Chily Registry Cleaner software is available for you to quickly scan and fix all minor and major registry errors.

Thanks

I say that any registry cleaner knows less about cleaning the registry. Than the average user.

There's a few spots, key to removing cruft. Though if you do not have a clue on the structure and usage. It's tough and can cause issues. Same goes to any automated cleaner.

The simplest and safest way. Is to regularly schedule backups and/or image the install. Archiving at set points. The workflows are archived separately. Since that is money and costly to replicate.

Last edited:
Back