• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repairing and LCD monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulfly1448

Repairing an LCD monitor?

Hey kids. I have a chance to pick up a 21" dell LCD monitor for cheap 'cuz it's busted. Not sure of the model but I know it rocked before whatever happened to it happened. The unit powers up but, the LCD itself is ALL messed up. Looks like someone punched it and kinda gives a spiderweb effect similar to a cracked windshield. I get picture at the top and bottom but the middle (from right to left) I get nada. It's obvious that that part of the screen is getting power but...

The question: can the LCD screen itself be replaced? It was my bosses and he can't return it because the serial number tag on the back is missing. I'm pretty handy with electronics/tools so, if it's possible without a bunch of wicked tools, where would I be able to obtain the screen?

Last edited:
soulfly1448 said:
Hey kids. I have a chance to pick up a 21" dell LCD monitor for cheap 'cuz it's busted. Not sure of the model but I know it rocked before whatever happened to it happened. The unit powers up but, the LCD itself is ALL messed up. Looks like someone punched it and kinda gives a spiderweb effect similar to a cracked windshield. I get picture at the top and bottom but the middle (from right to left) I get nada. It's obvious that that part of the screen is getting power but...

The question: can the LCD screen itself be replaced? It was my bosses and he can't return it because the serial number tag on the back is missing. I'm pretty handy with electronics/tools so, if it's possible without a bunch of wicked tools, where would I be able to obtain the screen?
The only place where you'll have a *chance* at a decent price on a panel like that is ebay, you'd get fleeced anywhere else... And while you're there, you can figure out how much your boss's broken monitor is actually worth. I'd bet that monitor was punched BTW :D

Hope your boss doesn't charge you much because it may not be worth your time and $$$ fixing it.

Just a friendly heads up from somebody who has an interest in the topic ;)

He's pretty cool. Might just end up giving it to me since he can't RMA it. I found one on ebay (Ultra Sharp 2000fp that's what this one is) that doesn't power up for cheap that the screen should be good on.

Wonder how hard it's gonna be to replace that screen. I guess we may find out!

It's a standard squarish screen. Not a laptop though, it's a desktop monitor. Do you think a laptop LCD would work? I've seen the sites advertising them.

I was just thinking about one of those sites as a possiblity, but now that i think about it, they will most likely not work.

Have you contacted dell at all about repair cost, or was it just ur boss?

Personally, i would just ebay it and get a new monitor, but if you can find a replacement screen they go for it. It would make a great project.

It just seems that it could easily cost more money and time to repair it then it would take to jsut buy a new screen.

Well, I'm not interested in contacting dell at all they're awful and would just prolly tell me to buy a new monitor. My boss is just gonna chuck it more than likely and I figure, hey, if I can pick up a new screen for a bill or so, why not give it a try?

Time's not really much of a concern to me, this could be one of those "pick it up and mess with it for twenty minutes every couple of weeks" projects.

The 2000FP I found on ebay that doesn't fire up is going for like, $0.99 right now with a single bid. It's still got 6 days before it ends, however, so it could be expensive at that point.

Buy the non powering one and swithc out the screens. ofcourse thats prolly what you were thinking and im just a dumbass.

We're on the same wavelength whoever. That's what I'm planning on.

I'm sure someone could canibalize the completely non-working unit that I would end up with.

Stay tuned... I'm gonna prolly acquire my boss's monitor tomorrow and start a biddin' war for the one on ebay.

When you get the broken monitor that wont power on try to check and see what is bad on it, it might just be the power circuitry and you could be able to just swap out the card on that. If its the controller card you can also swap that out, or just take the best looking case (as far as scratches). If the controller card is good you might be able to get a nice price for it.

Back