• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repairing Antec Tri-cool LED fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hall1k

Registered
Okay, my Antec 900 case came with two led 120mm tri-cool fans on the front, one on the back, and a 200mm at the top. Problem is, the switch for the second front fan seems to have fallen off in shipping or something. I did find the switch in the bottom of the case, but I have no idea what wires go where. I've got three wires coming from the fan (black, red, and yellow) but four pins to solder them to inside the switch.

Does anyone know the pinout for the switch?

Did you just buy this case new from a store? If so, go to Antec's website and contact them about the defective fan. I bet they send you a new one at no charge. Antec is pretty good on honoring their stuff. I had an older 1040 case that originally came with USB 1.0 on the front and after they updated the case to USB 2.0 for the front port, I got in contact with them about buying one to replace the old one and they sent me the new updated USB 2.0 front posts for free.

Did you just buy this case new from a store? If so, go to Antec's website and contact them about the defective fan. I bet they send you a new one at no charge. Antec is pretty good on honoring their stuff. I had an older 1040 case that originally came with USB 1.0 on the front and after they updated the case to USB 2.0 for the front port, I got in contact with them about buying one to replace the old one and they sent me the new updated USB 2.0 front posts for free.

Nah, I got it off newegg. Not worth sending it back. I'm good with soldering, I just need the pinout of the switch. I've searched google endlessly and come up with nothing.

Nah, I got it off newegg. Not worth sending it back. I'm good with soldering, I just need the pinout of the switch. I've searched google endlessly and come up with nothing.

It's worth contacting them. Like muddocktor says chances are they will send you one free of charge. Hell, Saitek sent me a spacebar for free for my EclipseII keyboard after I lost my temper trying to play NFS:Shift :) You would have thought you were driving a hovercraft on that game! lol. ShiftII is much better though

It's worth contacting them. Like muddocktor says chances are they will send you one free of charge. Hell, Saitek sent me a spacebar for free for my EclipseII keyboard after I lost my temper trying to play NFS:Shift :) You would have thought you were driving a hovercraft on that game! lol. ShiftII is much better though

Yeah, but I'm too impatient for that haha. With the Canada Post strike, Purolator could take forever (they're owned by Canada Post).

I might be able to help.

Here is the fan that has the potentiometer. On the left side, "2" is ground (black). 3 is whatever gives you the lowest resistance (turned counterclockwise) and 1 gives the most resistance. This is a picture of one that I modified to run at full speed and I don't have a "before" picture, sorry.
antec_fan_done_front.JPG

If it is the one with the pod, here is what it looks like:
antecfan_3.JPG

As you can see, it varies depending on the model of the fan.

I might be able to help.

Here is the fan that has the potentiometer. On the left side, "2" is ground (black). 3 is whatever gives you the lowest resistance (turned counterclockwise) and 1 gives the most resistance. This is a picture of one that I modified to run at full speed and I don't have a "before" picture, sorry.
antec_fan_done_front.JPG

If it is the one with the pod, here is what it looks like:
antecfan_3.JPG

Mine does have the pod that hangs off on a little wire. The thing is, it only has three wires, no orange one. And the wires are still attached to the fan, I just need to reconnect the pod thingy. Thank you for the illustrations, though.

As you can see, it varies depending on the model of the fan.

There are no orange wires in my first two pictures, just different shades of red. Here is the inside of one of the pods.

IMG_0288.JPG

Back