• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repartition drive (Windows 8.1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

I have had a go at cloning an SSD and did not succeed in getting a bootable system. My fall back strategy is to use the SSD as a second drive in the system and put important stuff (my Documents directory and VMware images) on the SSD. Before I do this, I'd like to delete all of the extra partitions that were created when the drive was cloned.

I'll be darned if I can figure out how (short of booting a live Linux CD.) I've gone into disk management and can find no options to delete any of these partitions. (I do have full admin rights on this machine.)

THIS SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD! :bang head

A Google search has turned up nothingf. There are a bunch of pointers for how to do this with Vista and Win7 but not 8/8.1. 😠 🚬 :aggravated:

what am I overlooking?

thanks!

I have had a go at cloning an SSD and did not succeed in getting a bootable system. My fall back strategy is to use the SSD as a second drive in the system and put important stuff (my Documents directory and VMware images) on the SSD. Before I do this, I'd like to delete all of the extra partitions that were created when the drive was cloned.

I'll be darned if I can figure out how (short of booting a live Linux CD.) I've gone into disk management and can find no options to delete any of these partitions. (I do have full admin rights on this machine.)

THIS SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD! :bang head

A Google search has turned up nothingf. There are a bunch of pointers for how to do this with Vista and Win7 but not 8/8.1. 😠 🚬 :aggravated:

what am I overlooking?

thanks!

I blew them away with the Windows 7 install disk TBH...
Throw the drives into IDE mode and try some DOS tools as well. Hiren's boot cd is great for this :)

I'm surprised this cannot be done from Win8.1 itself. I had a Linux Mint/LMDE bootable USB drive handy so I booted that up, deleted all partitions on the SSD (after making absolutely certain I was working with the SSD and not the main drive!) and created one partition, leaving it unformatted.

When I restarted 8.1 it would not format that partition but I could delete it and start the wizard to recreate and format it.

I'm surprised this cannot be done from Win8.1 itself. I had a Linux Mint/LMDE bootable USB drive handy so I booted that up, deleted all partitions on the SSD (after making absolutely certain I was working with the SSD and not the main drive!) and created one partition, leaving it unformatted.

When I restarted 8.1 it would not format that partition but I could delete it and start the wizard to recreate and format it.

Wow, all that extra work...
I guess M$ skimped on the installer too maybe. :-/

The Win7 DVD could do this, makes we wonder why Win 8.1 cannot.

I have no DVD, just a rescue partition. Perhaps it can do that byt I didn;t think to try it nor would I be inclined to do so. I'd be concerned that it would simply "rescue" the system and take it back to factory status.

Thats what it's for so its a good thing you didn't recover from that partition :)

Back