• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace OS disk for system builders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I just got done with a process of e-mail chat and phone calls with microsoft about replacing my windows vista home basic disc and found out that if your a system builder (OEM) that you have to visit this website to place an order for a replacement disk.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Figured I'd cut out the work for some of you.

Go down to "Media replacement for users of system builders' computers" and click the appropriate link, enter your coa and they'll send you a new one.

My coa comes up as invalid so I couldn't continue. Not sure why it's invalid but a few years ago it wouldn't validate over the internet so I had to start using the phone system validation. I'm in the process of getting this sorted out with microsoft.

There is a total install count and frequency that will get you flagged by MS if you exceed it. The phone system will be the only way you can activate after that.

There is a total install count and frequency that will get you flagged by MS if you exceed it. The phone system will be the only way you can activate after that.

Only if you're reactivating the same license key. Using the same installation media is not an issue (Just to clarify due to the mixed messages in the OP [Disk replacement VS Activation]).

Action Pack/Tech Net Subscriptions for MS Partners are all downloads now. Doesn't help with Vista, but for modern software, it's a real space saver and great convenience.

Back