• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement subs for vintage setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

My fiance is allowing me to use her vintage Fisher speakers. But they are so old that the papers and rubber around the subs are dry-rotted. So I am looking to buy just some replacements. I DO NOT need 300w RMS or anything like that, but something identical to the speakers that are already installed.

The subs I am looking at right now are these Golds from partexpress.com
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-346
This low frequency general-purpose woofer is ideal for the customer who is looking for an inexpensive replacement driver. Each woofer features a treated ribbed paper cone, vented pole piece, moisture resistant poly foam surround, and stamped steel frame. This woofer features a larger 40 oz. magnet for more cone control and tighter bass.

Specifications: *Power handling: 150 watts RMS/300 watts max *VCdia: 1-1/2" *Le: .93 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 7.2 ohms *Frequency range: 20-2,500 Hz *Fs: 29 Hz *SPL: 90 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 9.69 cu. ft. *Qms: 5.07 *Qes: 1.29 *Qts: 1.03 *Xmax: 3.5mm *Dimensions: A: 15", B: 13-3/4", C: 5-1/2".

My receiver is driving all my large speakers and it cannot handle any more.

Now here is a scan of the exact stats of these speakers:
fisher_med.JPG

im a bit slow checking in this section but i would suggest the dayton 15 classic's at PE.

You could allways repair them. My dad gave me a set of huge old pioneer speakers, and I ran into the same problem. The surrounds were all rotted out. I used a repair kit from here:

http://www.speakerworks.net/kits.html

They worked out awesome! The speakers now sound great, and it's very easy to do, trust me. They give you everything you need. I even bought a second pair for an old set of 6x9's that he gave me as well. No regrets here.

those 15s should sound rather nice for general acoustic sound. i wouldnt try puttin a ton of power with rap, dont think they're really designed for that, plus with the way theenclosures are tuned and all, with its FR starting at 40 hz.

You can check the SPL ratings for an idea of how loud they will sound. I recently replaced some 10" JBL woofers for my parents with the dayton classics and they sound pretty good considering they are running off a 30 year old receiver.
Even though the dayton's rated at 70w, and the JBLs are 40w, it doesn't make a difference.

Back