• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing NH-D14 Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

So my Noctua D14 140mm fan started making clicking noises. Sometimes it will get louder, sometimes it's not so bad. But you can definitely hear it all the time.

Anyway I have some old Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fans lying around and I was considering putting them in the D14. I also have two 1450RPM AP-15's that are currently acting as case intake fans.

Which fans should I go with? Or should I just go buy another Noctua 140mm fan with the 120mm mounting holes?

Can't speak for which fans to go with but Noctua has a six year warranty period begining at the date of purchase........Have you tried contacting them ??

I had a fan go out on my D14 and played around with all different kinds of fans. I ended up going back to a Noctua fan. I cant remember if I warrantied it out or if I just bought one its been so long ago. If I where to have another fan fail I would still stay with the Noctua fans.

Just my two cents on it. I have two of the D14's, one on mine and one on the wifes system.

I can't find my proof of purchase, tried looking through my invoice history on two separate billing accounts and couldn't find my D-14. I will try contacting them anyway though.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear that even happened, I haven't had a Noctua fan die on me yet.

I's stick the other in there and just try getting another from Noctua at any rate, still running some from about 5 years back on my rebuilt I-7 HTPC in the bedroom, they might just shoot another at you if you send em a message, not sure as I've never had a problem and had to contact them myself.

So I thought I would update this thread. Turns out it was never the Noctua Fans that were making the noise, it was actually the GPU fans in my 6950's that had a dry bearing. I only figured this out after switching the 6950's out for a 7870 I had acquired.

Turns out this kind of thing is a simple fix. You can use singer sewing machine oil, but I used pellet gun lube because I couldn't wait for my order to come in. You just pop the GPU fan off the socket with a screw driver and put a drop in the dry bearing. When I poped mine off it was really dry, it was clear why it was making a squeaky noise, but it's working as good as new now.

Such a simple fix for the gpu... I even took out the Noctua D14 fan to listen to it, I don't know how I made the mistake.

Still, it helps to locate the proof of purchase.

Once I made an extensive study of the D14 and various fans. It branches into seven chapters.

Start here.

Ya I wish I could find that... I checked both of the accounts I use to order stuff from NCIX and nothing. Newegg has no record either. I can't figure out where it would be.

I use a Phanteks TC14PE cooler. Even though I was very happy, just for giggles I swapped their fand for the ones that came with my DH-14. Not much difference really; a couple of degrees lower. Both are very quiet, but the Noctua fans have a "sound" ( I can't describe it) that is more pleasant to my senses so they will stay on the TC14PE. Also, I'm debating about replacing my case fans with Noctuas, too. I'm not making much sense I know, but I really prefer Noctua fans.

Still, it helps to locate the proof of purchase.

Once I made an extensive study of the D14 and various fans. It branches into seven chapters.

Start here.

Excellent stuff. I'm already finding that the D14 copes well when the heat output is taken up a few notches, which is where you'll start to see the real performance with high CFM fans. I'll be sure to link my review when I'm done. :thup:

I use a Phanteks TC14PE cooler. Even though I was very happy, just for giggles I swapped their fand for the ones that came with my DH-14. Not much difference really; a couple of degrees lower. Both are very quiet, but the Noctua fans have a "sound" ( I can't describe it) that is more pleasant to my senses so they will stay on the TC14PE. Also, I'm debating about replacing my case fans with Noctuas, too. I'm not making much sense I know, but I really prefer Noctua fans.

Noctua worked hard to make their fans sound nice. You have just vindicated their efforts.

Back