• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Repost: Jewel Box Project Completed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Navig

Senior Case Master
Jewel Box Project

Frontslrthiunlit.jpg

So this is not my newest project, but a reposting of an old project. The old thread resided on the abit forums, now long departed.

I happened to find most of this previous post as a word document, so I will be cut n pasting it back. But I will add a few new comments here and there. The comments will be highlited with { --- }.

This project ran from February '08 to June '08. I remember starting this project in the frigid unfinished basement of a 100 year old Victorian in JP. Anyway, in the chronology of my projects, this was just after my Console project and just before my Exoframe.

A version of the build log remains on the forums here.

--> Link Here <--

This is my "Completed" thread, with prettied up pictures, but I will include a summary of the construction.

Conception

The idea of this case was pretty straight forward. I wanted a cube style case with a horizontal laying motherboard. However, instead of a plain cube, I wanted to make the front have a slope to add a little architectural interest.

The final piece to the design of this project is the concept that gives it its name. I wanted to have my lid (at least 3 sides), hinge up to reveal the internals, like a jewel box.

GoldNecklaceHandEngravedDiamondBox.jpg

{ Is this concept too effeminate. Hmm possibly. }

As usual I began with some very simple sketches to convey the basic design.

Here was the overall outside shape:

Aircase3.jpg

And the swinging hinge concept to make it into a “jewel box”:

Aircase4.jpg

The internal structure called for a 2 tiered case, isolating the motherboard on top with a lot of dedicated airflow:

Aircase1.jpg

I wanted a free standing box stack for the 5.25 bay (built around a pre-fab 5.25 bay rack from Mountatin Mods). Instead of a cube shaped shell, I wanted to cut an angle down from the top panel. But not only that, it would cut thru the 5.25 box at angle, exposing a top portion of the 5.25 stack.

Finally, I settled on this general layout, to organize all the necessary elements: motherboard, power supply, hard drives, 5.25 drives.

Aircase2.jpg

The Build

Structurally, the case is comprised of 3 basic units:

1) The large 2 tier base unit. Constructed from ½” and ¾” MDF:

Boardsassembled.jpg

2) The front plastic panel box that holds the 5.25 bay rack:

Frontplasticunit2.jpg

3) The big giant angled lid:

Plasticlidbracketed.jpg

{ This lid is hella heavy, being made from 1/4" acrylic. At the time I thought this part would be sort of more structural, but actually with the fully metal bracketed seams, its probably overkill. Altho I can comfortably stack books, use the case as a footrest, etc. More on this in later comments... }

Put these 3 units together and you have, well a funky looking cardboard box!

Plasticlidbracketed2.jpg

Add some trim:

Kikboxmeshmounted.jpg

Then do a whole lot of aesthetic trim work, paint, remove the safety paper, and you have a complete case:

Finishedleftfront.jpg

The last step in the build process in to select computer components, install, and then wrangle the cables!

The Tour

This pic here I think shows the overall exterior shape to the case:

FrontRtMidUnlit.jpg

Again, it is essentially a cube case, but with a slanted front panel that slashes thru the box containing the 5.25 drives.

The outer shell is built of ¼” bronze tinted plastic from Delvie’s, and is held together by aluminum angle brackets at the seams.

One of the cools aspects of making such a large plastic lid is that internal lighting can make a good show of your internal components. On the front in the switch cluster is a toggle that fires up 4 internal white cold cathodes, which generate enough light to display the internal components thru the tinted plastic:

FrontRtMidLit.jpg

This sort of now-you-see-it-now-you-don’t is a feature I use on a lot of my builds. The internals are lit by 4 circular white ccfls, 3 mounted behind the three 120mm intake fans on the slant panel, and 1 underneath motherboard tray shelf.

{ Yeah, I use this lighting gimmick a lot--see my latest project Resilience. My wife's getting bored of it, and since the next project is hers...was that a foreshadowing? Can "foreshadow" be made into a noun? }

Moving round to the front of the case, here is a pic square face on:

Front2MidLit.jpg

I’m going to point out a few features here.

First of all, the overall color scheme I was going for in this case was bronze plastic and brushed aluminum.

The large slant panel is dominated by the fan intake bar. This is a 3x120mm fan bar which serves as the air intake for the case. The awesome grill is made by Kikboxes. There is also an important but low-key handle bar mounted to the steel grill.

Next is a modified Scythe Kaze Master fan controller. Unfortunately, the Kaze Master doesn’t come in brushed aluminum, only highly reflective silver or black. Fortunately, it is actually constructed of brushed aluminum, so I removed the front fascia, and cleaned up the aluminum, then reconstructed a tinted black window.

Here’s a closeup:

FrontKazemaster.jpg

The Kaze Master controls 4 fan channels and monitors 2 temps for me:
Channel#1 Fan intake bar.
Channel#2 Exhaust fans.
Channel#3 Video card fans.
Channel#4 Hard drive exhaust fan.
Temp#1 Intake air temp.
Temp#2 Exhaust air temp.

{ Huh, how fortuitous I found this old document. This case is actually in current active use, but I'd forgotten what the channels actually do! }

Continuing on with my little tour of the front, here’s a lit pic:

Front2MidLit.jpg

You can really see the intake fans.

Underneath the Scythe Kaze Master is my DVD burner (Lite-on I believe) and 3 blanks (Lian Li).

The large slant panel ends in some angled aluminum trim, secured down by what appear to be 2 ratcheting latches. Now why would you need industrial latches here? More on that later.

Finally, in the bottom left (of the pictures) is my switching panel. These are 26mm lit bulgin vandal resistant buttons (from performance-pcs). The purple ring is lit for power-on, and the button is the power-on. The white ring is lit for hard drive activity (I have the system virus-scanning to keep it lit for the pics), and the button is the reset switch. The third button is the toggle for the internal lighting.

Moving on to the case’s left side, this picture shows a nice profile of the case:

LeftFrontMidUnlit.jpg

Again, hitting the lights gives a nice glimpse of the inside hardware:

LeftFrontMidLit.jpg

Also on this panel is one of the outlets for the 2 main exhaust fans (Yate Loon 140cm fans). You can glimpse some of my hardware including one of the easily identifiable WD Raptor X 150gb hard drives, my power supply (Corsair HX 620), my Ram (2x2gb G.Skill) and my cpu heatsink (Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme).

Finally we make it round to the back side:

BackRightLit.jpg

This panel is ¾” mdf. It is essentially the back bone of the whole case, so it need to be super sturdy. You can see the myriad of exhaust fans, including the other main 140mm exhaust fan, an add-on 80mm fan exhaust in the unused pci ports (for the video card), the 120mm bottom tier fan exhaust (for the hard drives), and the psu exhaust.

My last 2 pics of this set show the case from top down. The entire top panel is plastic, so it gives you a good view of my entire motherboard:

TopBackLit.jpg

TopdownSideLit.jpg

Next, I’m going to hilight one of the cases feature features. The opening lid.

As a hardware enthusiast, all of my custom built cases must feature easy accessibility to the internal components. Generally I upgrade or modify a component every several months. So part of the original design of this case was to have it open up like a jewelry box, hence the title of the project.

To open up the case, the first step is to undo the flip-latches on the front:

FrontSquare1.jpg

These 2 latches are the only thing holding the lid down, altho it is locked into place by the side trim.

Next, you flip out the support bars on the back of the case that are going to hold the weight of the lid when open:
OpenDemo2.jpg

Next, you grab the handle on the angled front panel and lift:

OpenDemo3.jpg

You keep rotating the lid until it comes to rest on the open support bars:

OpenDemo5.jpg

And now you’ve got tool free quick access to almost all sides of all components.

It’s really that easy.

Here is a video of it in real time:

th_Liddemo.jpg

{ I think this was a pretty neat idea. But time has proven it somewhat impractical. As I mentioned previously the lid is very heavy. Also to open the top requires a lot of room behind the case, which just isn't always there.

Most of the time, when I need to access the components, I actually undo the acorn screws, and just lift the whole lid right off.

If I were to revisit this design, I'd probably push more towards the practical and

1) Construct the lid from 1/8" thick acrylic

2) Devise a quick release method for the lid, instead of the hinged action }

Well, now that we’ve got the lid open, let’s take a good look at the goodies inside.

MotherboardView.jpg

Here are the hardware components:

Xeon 3110 (clocked at 9*445=4ghz)
Cooled with a lapped Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/navig/Lapping/Thermalright Utra 120 eXtreme/2000.jpg
{ Hah, who doesn't love pics of a hand lapped heatsink? }